BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Manager of Park Development - Park BoardRequisition ID: 15096
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Based out of the Park Board head office in Stanley Park, the key focus of this position is the leadership and strategic oversight of a team executing a diverse portfolio of capital projects for the Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation. The Manager applies their leading edge experience in park design and urban environments in motivating teams designing and building outstanding park and recreation experiences.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
This senior leadership position is responsible for initiating, supervising and co-ordinating the Park Board capital program for design and construction of all parks, outdoor recreation, natural areas and park infrastructure both new and renewed. A key focus of this position is overseeing the park asset renewal program, optimizing use of resources, ensuring work is linked to key organizational strategies, services are equitably delivered, and that assets are sustained. The Manager is also responsible for the development and management of significant long and short term capital plans and budget development and the development and execution of annual business plans. This position is also responsible for geographic information systems and archaeology with a strong focus on efficient and effective service delivery, fully integrated with other Park Board and City functions, you will be comfortable conceiving, developing and implementing complex projects and programs to address a myriad of needs and challenges. The position also has a strong collaboration with the Park Planning, Policy and Environment team including integration and synergy between the teams. Excellent communication skills are required in presenting and reporting to Park Board and City Council, senior management team, corporate steering committees, and representing the organization and its interests in various venues.
The Manager of Park Development reports to the Director of Planning and Park Development and is responsible for motivating and leading a team of employees including hiring, coaching and the career development of staff, performance management and evaluations.
Education and Experience:
- Registration as a professional landscape architect or engineer in the Province of British Columbia is required with 7 to 10 years of professional experience in a municipal role or equivalent.
- Experience in the oversight and management of teams responsible for park and public recreation design, public and stakeholder engagement, park systems standards, asset management and budgets is required.
- Significant experience with public engagement and delivery of large, complex capital projects in a multi-stakeholder, multi-department stakeholder local government context is necessary.
- Knowledge of current large-scale municipal park, outdoor recreation and natural area use, design and operation trends.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong intra and interpersonal skills.
- Exhibits resilience in a context of changing priorities and political decisions
- Excellent presentation skills in communicating complex issues and topics to senior leaders, politicians and external agencies.
- Has a service-oriented approach with the ability to plan, coordinate and monitor complex park and outdoor recreation capital projects; gaining cooperation and support from various parties with divergent expectations and objectives; and ability to negotiate and facilitate resolution of issues.
- Financial acumen
- Considerable knowledge and successful experience in human resource management practices, employee engagement; and
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and exercise a considerable degree of judgement and independence in day-to-day work
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Application Close Date: November 24, 2019
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities. The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Planning & Development,Horticulture/Landscaping/Greenskeeping
Posted: November 8, 2019, 11:48 am
Expires: November 24, 2019, 11:59 pm