BC Local Government Job Posting Service
City of Surrey
Community Service Assistant 5 –
Age Friendly Strategy for Seniors
The City of Surrey’s Age Friendly Strategy for Seniors demonstrates a commitment to support residents to enjoy lifelong activity and engagement. The strategy advocates collaboration with partners and government to share and leverage resources to enhance the lives of citizens. As part the City’s commitment to age friendly cities, we are looking for a dynamic and passionate Community Services Assistant 5 to support the actions and outcomes of the Age Friendly Strategy for Seniors.
Reporting to the Age Friendly Strategy for Seniors Project Manager, the Community Services Assistant 5 will be expected to engage with seniors, build relationships with community-based service providers, governmental organizations, commercial service providers, and facilitate programs and events that support seniors to be safe, active and engaged in their community.
The successful candidate will:
- Plan, organize and implement events for seniors, such as the Focus on Seniors Forums, and Mobile Community Outreach.
- Be knowledgeable and informed about issues affecting seniors including strategies to reduce the risks of elder abuse and neglect and social isolation.
- Support marketing and promotion of the Age Friendly Strategy for Seniors events throughout Surrey.
- Assist with preparing and writing Grant applications, summary reports and .
- Develop and maintain strong collaborative relationships with Community based Senior Services, local and provincial governments, and City staff from all departments.
- Recruit, train and supervise staff and volunteers.
- Provide solution-oriented customer service to seniors, partners and the Age Friendly Strategy project team.
- Assist with other administrative tasks when necessary.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic individual with passion and experience in working with seniors. The ideal candidate is a committed team member, a leader and who has strong collaborative skills and a good understanding of the senior’s demographic and age friendly cities including, social, economic and wellness considerations. Candidates should have project planning and event management experience and must be flexible and be able to thrive in a dynamic, fast-past environment.
- Graduated from a recognized university or college level program plus 2 years progressively responsible experience in recreation, including supervision, or an equivalent acceptable combination of training and experience. An equivalent combination of relevant training and experience will be considered.
- A current Emergency First Aid and CPR certificate (or acceptable equivalent);
- A valid BC Driver’s License with safe driving history;
- The ability to exercise good judgment and work independently;
- Strong public relation and interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of computer applications and good keyboard skills.
Applicants under consideration will be required to consent to a Police Information Check/Vulnerable Sector Check
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey.
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca
Location: Surrey, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Community Services
Posted: November 6, 2019, 8:27 pm
Expires: December 6, 2019, 4:30 pm