BC Local Government Job Posting Service
School District No. 73 (Kamloops-Thompson)
Manager of Operations
Applications are invited for the position of Manager of Operations for School District No. 73 (Kamloops-Thompson).
Located in British Columbia’s Southern Interior and operating in a region of about 103,000 people, School District No 73 is a diverse and inclusive organization providing public education programs in the City of Kamloops and the municipalities of Chase, Barriere, Logan Lake and Clearwater as well as many smaller communities west to Savona, south to Westwold and north to Blue River. The District’s student population is approximately 15,200 including 427 continuing education and adult learners and over 1,200 students in French Immersion. The district employs more than 1,800 full and part-time educators and support staff working collaboratively with external education partners.
Nature and Scope:
As part of School District No. 73’s management team, and reporting to the Director of Facilities and Transportation, the School District requires a talented management professional with the ability to oversee its Custodial Department on a cost effective, efficient basis. The successful individual will be responsible for a wide range of issues and needs to be able to communicate effectively with a diverse group of colleagues, staff, public and regulating authorities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide supervision of all custodial staff, including the rural satellite operations in Barriere, Chase, and Clearwater.
- All aspects of managing staff including the internal and external posting, recruitment, hiring, and orientation of staff as well as leading the discipline process when required.
- Oversee the evaluation of staff performance on a regular basis.
- Conduct periodic testing of custodians to ensure safety of equipment operation.
- Provide annual staff training programs to ensure exemplary operation of custodial department.
- Administer the custodial budget and ensure that programs are cost effective and that funds are managed wisely.
- Oversee the maintenance program for all School District flooring.
- Participate in the local and regional Ministry initiatives.
- Initiate purchases and bids in accordance with budgetary limitations and district policies.
- Organize and conduct training programs to promote a safe work environment.
- Review custodial behavior reports and liaise with School Principals on discipline issues.
- In consultation with the other Department Managers, evaluate facility infrastructure to ensure replacement in a timely and cost effective manner.
Required Abilities, Knowledge and Skills
- Strong interpersonal and people management skills.
- Ability to instill a culture of accountability.
- Able and willing to make tough decisions in a timely manner.
- Believes in union-management cooperation as well as the right to manage.
- Proven ability to develop strong cooperative relationships with staff and colleagues.
- Ability to respond to the public in a positive, non-adversarial, solutions oriented approach.
- Ability to manage department within a set budget.
- Ability to gain knowledge of the operations of the custodial system and develop and implement positive changes.
- Proficiency with computers and a variety of software programs, including a demonstrated knowledge of custodial software.
- 5+ years prior experience in a similar position.
- Thorough knowledge of WorksafeBC regulations.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (including Microsoft Visio) software would be an asset.
- Manager Level Supervisory Courses or equivalent would be an asset.
For a detailed job description, please visit https://bit.ly/2JAFrbg.
To apply, please visit https://bit.ly/2N0VIs8
Location: Kamloops, BC
Region: Thompson / Shuswap / Columbia
Professional Categories: Janitorial/Custodial Services,Facilities Management/Development
Posted: October 30, 2019, 2:21 pm
Expires: November 29, 2019, 4:30 pm