BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Buyer IPosition Status: Full-Time Regular
Employee Group: Teamsters Local 31
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Our Financial Services Department is seeking a Buyer I with experience in Capital Construction Procurement of large scale ($2M+) equipment and related services for civil, facility and/or industrial capital construction projects, as necessary for the functioning of a regional district. This position will be part of a team dedicated to supporting all departments in their acquisition of capital procurement.
You are: An experienced procurement professional with strong communications skills, sound knowledge of all applicable regulations and policies, and works well in a fast paced environment.
- In conjunction with client departments, prepares detailed specifications and related documents; assists in the preparation of criteria of acceptable vendors; arranges for calling of selected and advertised tenders; ensures all information is uniformly distributed; analyzes bids as to price, quality, quantity, future availability, past performance, etc.
- Independently, or in conjunction with client departments, interviews suppliers, negotiates satisfactory price discounts, terms, delivery methods and dates and related items; determines the most appropriate source of supply.
- Drafts contract language according to precedent; researches and obtains information and material required from a variety of sources.
- Reviews all tenders, requests for proposal and contracts to ensure appropriate purchasing treatment including levels of indemnification and to verify required insurance and bonding certification; administers and monitors awarded product and service contracts.
- Performs research and analysis of products and services, and prepares reports and recommendations on purchasing of same; provides assistance to client departments regarding purchasing matters.
- Liaises with external and internal contacts such as engineers, architects, project managers, contractors, suppliers and lawyers.
- Maintains purchasing records and prepares summary statistical and information reports.
- Performs related work as required.
To be successful, you have:
- Completion of the 12th school grade supplemented by courses in a recognized purchasing program, such as completion of the majority of courses leading to attainment of the Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP) designation from Supply Chain Canada, plus considerable related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable knowledge and experience in procuring large scale ($2M+) capital construction services and equipment, and the ability to manage a large procurement portfolio.
- Considerable knowledge of the policies and procedures governing municipal purchasing.
- Considerable knowledge of the sources, quantities, types and prices of products and services required.
- Considerable knowledge of market conditions, price trends, business conditions and governmental regulations affecting the work.
- Sound knowledge of the functions and requirements of the departments served.
- Sound knowledge of contract law, negotiation, and corporate insurance.
- Ability to evaluate quality, price and service factors to determine quality and suitability of all products and services.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts.
- Ability to prepare specifications and related documents for a variety of products and services and to monitor and administer such contracts.
- Ability to study and review market conditions and prepare reports and recommendations on purchasing matters.
- Class 5 Driver's License for the Province of British Columbia.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by November 13, 2019.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Procurement/Purchasing/Inventory
Posted: October 30, 2019, 10:02 am
Expires: November 13, 2019, 4:30 pm