BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Manager, Building Inspection
Planning & Protective Services – Building Inspection
$104,380 - $122,800 annually (2018 rates)
Review of applications begins
4:00pm on November 13, 2019, but the position will remain open until filled.
Make a difference and become a part of the Capital Regional District’s vibrant future! Located in one of the world’s premier places to live, work and visit, the Capital Regional District (CRD) strives to create liveable, vibrant communities, practice exemplary environmental stewardship and build a prosperous and sustainable economy. We are an outcome driven, high performance organization respected for its commitment to the citizens we service and the services we provide.
The Manager, Building Inspection is an operational position that provides oversight of the building inspection function ensuring effective and efficient service delivery.
Key Accountabilities / Position Outcomes
- Leads, plans, directs and implements Building Inspection operational programs, activities and budget, ensuring they are carried out in a manner consistent with CRD policies, standards and fiscal responsibility.
- Ensures bylaws, policies, business and operating plans, structures, systems and management practices are in place to effectively support the Building Inspection function.
- Performs building inspection functions for the Division as required generally for files with potentially legal or liable situations and provides support to staff on routine and complex inspections issues and the determination of violations.
- Uses leadership, coaching and management skills to create a highly engaged team of building inspection professionals and administrative staff with the knowledge, skills and abilities to ensure operational goals and objectives are met.
- Liaises with CRD staff, government officials, community leaders, outside agencies, special interest groups and members of the public to provide information on building inspection matters and address concerns.
- Acts to ensure compliance with regulatory and legal requirements while providing expertise to internal and external stakeholders and partners.
- Technical Degree or Diploma in Building inspection, business administration, and ten (10) years building inspection experience with five (5) of it at the supervisory level or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must hold a Building Officials Association of BC Level 3 Certification and hold a valid Building Official Designation.
Role-specific Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong knowledge of BC Building Codes, Plumbing Code, Local Government Act, National Fire Codes and other related bylaws and regulations.
- Proven ability to provide direction, and leadership to a diverse group of staff and achieve business results.
- Knowledge and experience interpreting and applying various legislations, bylaws and regulations.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive and collaborative relationships with stakeholders, internal departments and members of the community.
- Proven ability to resolve disputes, public complaints and enforcement issues.
- Knowledge of and ability to prepare, analyze and present technical and statistical reports and materials to CRD staff, politicians, and other stakeholders.
- Ability to develop and manage budgets including providing strong financial oversight ensuring fiscal and program accountability.
- Operational knowledge of WorkSafeBC regulations and the ability to plan and coordinate projects to ensure safety of employees, contractors, and the public.
- Proficiency and experience with word processing (MS Word), spreadsheets (MS Excel), presentation (MS PowerPoint) and internet searches.
- Valid BC Driver’s License.
Due to the nature of this role, the incumbent is required to undergo a criminal record check.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and covering letter online at www.crd.bc.ca under “Careers”.
The CRD thanks you for your interest and advises only those candidates under active consideration will be contacted.
Location: Victoria, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Building Technology/Inspection
Posted: October 28, 2019, 12:01 pm
Expires: November 13, 2019, 4:00 pm