BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Administrative Assistant III (City-wide Plan)Requisition ID: 14216
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The City-wide Plan coordinated and managed by Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability (PDS) is a major cross-departmental program to develop, implement, monitor and steward a long-range strategic plan to guide Vancouver to a bright, sustainable future looking out to 2050 and beyond. This transformative initiative advances and integrates policy areas across all disciplines of the City encompassing social, economic, environmental and cultural objectives through an over-arching lens of equity, reconciliation and resiliency. It will guide strategic planning and policy at the City in the future in alignment with Council, corporate and departmental policies, priorities, investments and actions.
The Administrative Assistant III works closely with Senior Managers on the City-Wide Plan. The position provides an extensive range of confidential and sensitive administrative support services at the executive level, such as managing calendars of Senior Managers on the City-Wide Integrated Project Team, liaising with internal and external stakeholders, ensuring that matters requiring immediate action are brought to the attention of the Senior Managers, preparing and/or locating background information on issues and sensitive topics; and using discretion and judgement to resolve issues
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Proactively creates and maintains effective workflow and communications to accomplish the work of the City-Wide Plan Senior Managers through handling of a variety of projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Manages the Senior Managers’ calendars and schedules. Works with multiple, competing and changing priorities to organize appointments, proactively resolve conflicts, and to ensure optimal use of the Senior Managers’ time.
- Manages the flow of incoming and outgoing inquiries to City-wide plan office. Tracks and follows-up on items and inquiries and complaints as required, and ensures that Senior Managers’ responses to requests are completed in a timely manner.
- Provides information and referrals based on a broad knowledge of the City-wide plan, Senior Managers’ priorities, procedures and protocol. Responds to public and stakeholder inquiries and requests.
- Makes decisions in the absence of the Senior Managers such as determining if an issue needs to be forwarded to the Deputy Director, GM, or their Executive Assistants, or may be dealt with by another senior leader.
- Communicates directly by telephone and e-mail, on behalf of the Senior Managers with key internal and external contacts including development industry members, senior staff, senior government officials, and politicians.
- Manages and directs media calls (in conjunction with Communications) by determining the subject, deadlines and necessary/ appropriate follow through.
- Drafts, screens, reviews and edits sensitive and confidential correspondence of the Senior Managers and drafts, proofreads, and prepares communications, presentations, and reports on behalf of the Senior Managers.
- Maintains the image of the City Wide Plan offices by ensuring that all correspondence and documentation prepared for the office adheres to a consistent and professional standard.
- Manages scheduling and logistics for City-Wide Plan Trainings/Staff Meetings; provides support to various committees/meetings which the Senior Managers Chair.
- Sets, schedules, manages and prepares meeting logistics for the staff meetings/training including: agenda packages, arranges meeting dates/times/rooms, types and distributes minutes, follows up on action items and coordinates with the Senior Managers and other Executive Assistant on activities.
- Develops, organizes and maintains a comprehensive filing system for the City-Wide Plan offices in accordance with the City's record management system. Monitors the City-Wide Plan SharePoint site. Maintains databases; entering, updating, reviewing, extracting and researching data.
- Schedules and tracks annual performance reviews for the City-Wide Plan Office.
- Oversees and ensures expense reimbursement for City-Wide Plan management.
- Arranges travel and training for the Senior Managers.
- Reconciles Mastercard expenditures by determining cost centres and account codes on a monthly basis before submitting to the Administrative Manager for approval.
- Assists with administration of consulting contract documentation and invoice payment as guided by Senior Managers.
- Produces a variety of reports and gather business information and materials for the Senior Managers. This includes downloading information from databases (such as SAP) and organizing information for presentation and /or consideration. Photocopies and distributes reports, presentations, correspondence, spreadsheets, and statistics as required.
- Ensures records management protocols are followed as the Departmental Record
- Coordinator (DRC) for the City-Wide Plan Office and conducts annual disposition of records and transfers to archives.
- Handles confidential and sensitive materials dealing with labour relations, property acquisitions or sensitive budgetary documentation. Drafts a variety of sensitive correspondence including human resource related documents such as offer of employment letters, performance management and/or disciplinary related letters, as well as other sensitive materials, briefing notes, agendas, minutes on behalf of the Senior Managers.
- Providing current data to SAP HR Project regarding Planning Department organizational structure including position numbers and related cost centres
- Reminding Senior Management of impending completion date for temporary employees and inquiring about possible extensions
- Oversees and is the point of contact for Freedom of Information (FOI) inquiries for the City Wide Plan Office.
- Coordinates and submits time entry for the Citywide Plan Office.
- Exempt Campus Safety Committee Representative for the City-plan office also includes:
- Ensuring Health and Safety information and the Health and Safety Orientation Tour are provided to all new City-plan (and returning) employees.
- Ensuring that the resulting OH&S Orientation Checklist information is entered into VanDocs and into the tracking spreadsheet for statistical presentation to Corporate Management Team (CMT)
- Completion of Work Place Inspections and ensuring data is recorded in VanDocs, data base (for tracking and statistics) and Facilities Work Requests are completed
- Liaison with Facilities to ensure safety-related requests are completed
- Floor Captain for Building Evacuation and Fire Drill
- Monthly distribution to City-plan staff of Health and Safety Crew Talks and inserting information into the Crew Talk data base
- Ensuring Information Technology, Security and Modo departments know of new or departing staff and that hiring and termination details are handled efficiently.
- Creating e-CAFs, e-SAFs, e-HAFs and job requisitions in Success Factors
- Ensuring Quickfind Inquiries and Staff Directory is Current
- Ensuring Email Distribution Lists are Current
- Other Duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- A diploma in Business Administration or a related field with at least 5 years working at a senior management level in an administrative capacity, preferably as an Executive Assistant or Office Manager.
- Requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills including an effective knowledge of correct punctuation, grammatical usage and a comprehensive vocabulary for preparation of business letters, reports and statements.
- Superior clerical, mathematical, and statistical aptitude and accuracy; thorough knowledge of MS Office programs including (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint); ability with VanDocs, Sharepoint, OH&S database, Incident database, SAP; SuccessFactors, E-CAFs, E-SAFs, E-HAFs, etc.; research abilities; familiarity with standard office equipment (printers, voicemail, etc.)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of city departments and personnel is a bonus.
- Knowledge of and ability to explain and apply City programs, policies, procedures, and collective agreements an asset.
- Ability to exercise discretion and deal with sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a high volume environment with frequent interruptions and changing priorities.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and solve problems.
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships across the organization and work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to manage and adapt to change.
- Have a strong customer-service orientation and approach. Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the public.
- Ability to research and collate a variety of data and issues.
- Ability to use a multitude of office equipment.
- Proficient in the use computer programs including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, email and scheduling programs
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: October, 2019
Application Close: September 29, 2019
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Office Administration
Posted: September 11, 2019, 1:19 pm
Expires: September 29, 2019, 11:59 pm