BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Technical Support Specialist
(Permanent Full Time)
West Vancouver is an attractive community on the North Shore! It is home to some of the region’s best parks and recreation locations: Whytecliff Park, Lighthouse Park, Cypress Provincial Park and ski area, and Ambleside Beach. At the District of West Vancouver, we're looking for employees that have a passion for public service and strive to make a difference. Our team of dedicated staff deliver services, operate facilities and run the programs that make West Vancouver a great place to live. Be part of our team!
The West Vancouver ITS department is looking for a Permanent Full-time Technical Support Specialist who enjoys tackling IT related issues in a timely manner while upholding a strong level of communication to users.The work is performed under general supervision and requires the incumbent to be able to exercise independence when it comes to making decisions and taking action.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Responding to user calls; investigates, documents, assesses, and resolves software and hardware problems on computer related problems and network systems.
- Installing or oversees installation and configuration of software and hardware; provides orientation to users, as required.
- Performing system maintenance, back-up, and recovery operations as required.
- Preparing and maintaining a variety of material such as procedure manuals, records, files, reports, service desk calls and correspondence related to the work.
- Maintaining inventory of IT equipment and software.
- Providing advice and assistance to users regarding the use of computer applications and hardware, communication systems and related equipment.
- Performing other related duties as required.
The successful candidate will possess:
- A certificate or diploma in computer sciences or related discipline plus sound related experience OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Sound knowledge of the practices and procedures used in the operation of computer equipment and software applications as related to the work performed.
- Sound knowledge of the functions of the departments served and their requirements as applied to the work performed.
- Sound knowledge of the methods and principles utilized in training users in the use of hardware and software applications.
- Ability to install or oversee the installation of computer hardware and software.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts and to provide advice, information and assistance to same.
- Ability to assist in the development and delivery of user training as related to the work performed. • Ability to prepare and maintain a variety of written materials related to the work.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License
As the closing date is listed as ongoing, the review, processing of applications, and hiring will begin immediately until the position has been filled. The successful candidate will be required to supply a police information check and a copy of their credentials.
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licences and certificates required of candidates.
Union (WVMEA) – Permanent Full-Time
Hours of Work:
35 hours per week (hours and days of work may vary)
Rate of Pay:
$32.26 to $37.98
Please visit the District of West Vancouver’s Career Centre at www.westvancouver.ca/careers to apply for this position.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.