BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Urban Wildlife Coordinator
Environmental Services Division
The City of Coquitlam is the sixth largest city in BC, home to more than 150,000 residents. Our municipality continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and state-of-the-art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.
This exciting temporary opportunity in our Environmental Services Division involves delivering the City’s Urban Wildlife Program with the goal of reducing human-wildlife conflicts in our community through education, regulation and cooperation. Duties of the Urban Wildlife Coordinator include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinating and implementing education and outreach related to urban wildlife, attractants, and pests including attending events, preparing communication material, and presenting to schools and community groups
- Investigating complaints, gathering evidence, patrolling neighbourhoods for attractants, and enforcing applicable bylaws
- Conducting door-to-door campaigns in problem neighbourhoods where wildlife or pest conflicts are present
- Responding to wildlife/bear situations; providing support and liaising with attending Conservation Officers or RCMP
- Recruiting, supervising and training seasonal staff
- Establishing and maintaining effective relationships with internal and external contacts such as the Conservation Officer Service and School District
- Preparing and maintaining data, reports, records, and evidence related to the work
- Providing excellent customer service and responding by phone, email or in-person to related public inquiries.
Our preferred candidate will have a diploma from a post-secondary institution in environmental science or related field of study, plus some experience related to the work and experience in investigational and enforcement work OR an equivalent combination of training and experience. You must also have a valid Driver's License for the Province of British Columbia.
A CUPE hourly rate of $28.55 to $33.60 plus 6% in lieu of benefits and an earned day off program is being offered. Please apply online by 5 p.m. August 25, 2019 at www.coquitlam.ca/jobs.
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.