BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Operations Worker II (Street Operations)Requisition ID: 13999
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Engineering Services contributes to the overall City purpose by providing many services and public works facilities. Street Operations Workers maintain and construct City streets, lanes, and sidewalks.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Operations workers perform general construction tasks such as concrete finishing, form setting, boulevard restoration, drain tile installation, asphalt raking and conduit installation. Operations workers also perform maintenance tasks such as pressure washing, bridge painting and pothole repair.
Street Operations functions 365 days per year. The shifts are currently Monday to Friday from 7:00am to 3:30pm and employees may be asked to work other days and times.
Functional and or physical assessment related to the bona fide position requirements may be required. Candidates must attach the following to be considered:
- Commercial Driving Records Abstract (N Print) for the past 5 years
- Insurance & Claims History for the past 3 years
Education and Experience:
- Up to completion of high school and some laboring experience in construction; and
- Experience working in roles requiring learning new skills, procedures and processes; and
- Experience working with asphalt and/or concrete is an asset; and/or
- Experience with bridge maintenance activities and working from heights is an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of safe work procedures.
- Sound knowledge of the tools, material and equipment used in the work.
- Some knowledge of construction and maintenance tasks.
- Some knowledge of the functions of Street Operations and the established practices in carrying out the work.
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform heavy physical labour.
- Ability to lift, push and pull heavy objects.
- Ability to walk or stand continuously with frequent bending or twisting.
- Ability to work close to moving machinery and in high traffic areas
- Ability to work on ladders, elevated areas, confined spaces, and/or uneven surfaces
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- Ability to use a variety of tools and equipment
- Ability to exercise some independence of judgment and action in the routine or simple aspects of the work.
- Ability to courteously answer questions and deal with the public.
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a Satisfactory driving record
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 N/Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: October 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-310: 28.67 per hour
Number of Positions: Multiple
Application Close: September 1, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Public Works & Operations
Posted: August 9, 2019, 11:13 am
Expires: September 1, 2019, 11:59 pm