BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Director, Human Resources
(Full Time)The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Southern Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay, and the South End including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits.
The Municipality of North Cowichan invites applications for the position of Director of Human Resources to support a complex and varied workforce of approximately 450 exempt, unionized and on-call staff across nine unique worksites. The position has oversight and accountability over a broad portfolio of operational and strategic human resources services including: employee and labour relations, health and safety, disability management, compensation and benefits, recruitment, organizational development, training, recognition, internal communications, client services and administration.
This is a key leadership role responsible for providing strategic direction and advice to the management team on the portfolios of human resources and health and safety. The Director will promote organizational capacity and an engaged workforce through the successful delivery of human resources services and programs, and skillful management of labour and employee relations. They will be required to both create and improve programs and services offered by Human Resources to enable the success of each business area.
Reporting to the General Manager of Corporate Services, this position will work as part of a highly engaged, high functioning and integrated team of internal service leaders integral to realizing North Cowichan’s strategic goals and objectives and maintaining service delivery excellence to the community. With this corporate focus and a requirement for rapid progress and constructive change, this role has a core accountability, in conjunction with North Cowichan management, for delivering the people strategies and supportive human resources and health and safety programs, policies and practices that will achieve the desired future state for the organization.
Vacant due to an internal promotion, North Cowichan needs a new Human Resources Director adept at building relationships, skilled at leading a dynamic team and guided by the values of service excellence, collaboration, integrity and accountability. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of managing and delivering on corporate projects in complex and varied work environments, leading change and demonstrating political and organizational awareness. This role is best suited to a candidate with emotional resilience and a strong work ethic.
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Abilities
- A minimum of 5 years’ human resources generalist experience in a unionized environment, including accountability for health and safety program management.
- A minimum of 2 years’ proven senior change leadership capability and experience in helping develop and implement complex, cross organizational change plans which have involved political and/or board involvement or implications, senior leadership, union participation, diverse business objectives and agendas, and where improved organization performance has resulted.
- Experience in a complex municipal or public sector environment or equivalent organization in the private sector with extensive involvement and exposure to labour relations in these environments.
- Undergraduate degree in business administration, public administration or equivalent required; Master of Business Administration or Master of Public Administration or equivalent preferred.
- CPHR designation preferred.
- High levels of political and organizational acumen and proven capability in developing strong and effective working partnerships, rapport and relationships with senior leaders, all manner of teams, diverse stakeholders, councils and with bargaining agents.
- Demonstrable knowledge of interpreting collective agreements, policies and procedures, terms and conditions of employment and human resources legislation/leading cases; experience with collective bargaining is preferred.
- Demonstrable knowledge of WorkSafe BC regulations and processes, the BC Human Rights Code, health and safety and disability management best practices and the practical application of leading human rights and accommodation cases in Canada.
- Proven track record and ability to connect, mentor and build a dynamic human resources team that is results driven, solution focused and enables results for the business.
- High energy, a strong work ethic, resiliency, and flexibility to deal with many changes and disruptions, and to lead with purpose and urgency.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a police information check. A competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package is offered. This position is excluded from union membership.
To Apply: Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position. Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
Application Deadline: 4:30 p.m. August 28, 2019
Location: Duncan, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Human Resources
Posted: July 31, 2019, 10:48 am
Expires: August 28, 2019, 4:30 pm