BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Position: Plumbing Official (Permanent, Full-Time)Closing Date: Open Until Filled
At the City of Kamloops, we are focused on creating the highest levels of service excellence, based on an organization-wide community culture that celebrates the employees who make it all happen. We offer many advantages including ongoing training and professional development opportunities, coupled with exceptional benefits, all in the beautiful natural setting of the BC Interior.
Kamloops is Canada’s Tournament Capital, a family and business-friendly community committed to providing great customer service, enhancing community partnerships, and supporting economic growth. Our 700 employees provide customer services and programs to a local and regional population of 125,000 people. Kamloops provides abundant recreational possibilities for residents and visitors alike, as well as education and culture opportunities and activities.
Plumbing Official (Permanent, Full-Time)
CUPE Inside PG 11 TQ
Days of Work
Monday to Friday
Hours of Work
Summer 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Winter 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Performs semi-skilled technical, inspection, and regulatory work of a relatively complex nature under the BC Building Code and the BC Plumbing Code. Field inspection work is under limited supervision, and office work is under the general supervision of the Chief Building Official. Work involves inspecting plumbing, construction, repairs, alterations, demolitions, and construction specifications and plans to ensure compliance with the provincial and municipal codes, regulations, and standards. Work also involves safeguarding public health; policing areas for non-permitted construction; providing advice and guidance to contractors, homeowners, designers, and the public; responding to general public inquiries; dealing with plumbing problems, including suggesting corrections and work improvements; preparing reports; performing general clerical duties in the office; and assisting other inspectors. Office duties include receiving and investigating complaints; applying and explaining bylaw requirements; laying charges by summons, municipal ticket, or injunction; and attending court. The job involves both inside and outside work, considerable driving between locations, walking over rough areas outside in all conditions, and occasional pressures of volumes of work and deadlines. Loss or damage from normal error would not be readily detected or corrected and can cause loss of service. The incumbent is responsible for exercising a considerable degree of independent judgment and constant care in evaluating conditions and conformity with codes and regulations; protecting the safety of others; and exercising tact, diplomacy, and courtesy in dealing with members of the public while enforcing codes and regulations.
- Inspects plumbing renovations, alterations, and new plumbing installations as work progresses and upon completion to ensure conformance with the Provincial Building and Plumbing Codes, municipal bylaws, and related regulations.
- Examines and checks plans of plumbing systems for compliance with provincial and municipal codes, regulations, and bylaws.
- Investigates and attempts to gain compliance with departmental regulatory bylaws using a variety of enforcement techniques, including discussions, warning notices, letters, municipal tickets, and prosecutions as required.
- Issues notice to stop work when condition is warranted.
- Co-operates with representatives from federal, provincial, and municipal departments in conducting joint inspections.
- Provides technical assistance and interpretation to owners, contractors, engineers, and architects relative to the work.
- Gives factual evidence in a court of law regarding plumbing inspections, if required.
- Prepares reports and general correspondence, handles telephone and counter inquiries, and maintains related records.
- Liaises with other Building and/or Plumbing Officials regarding plumbing systems.
- Performs related duties as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND KNOWLEDGE
- Working knowledge of plumbing systems, the Provincial Building and Plumbing Codes related to plumbing systems, and relevant municipal bylaws.
- Knowledge of methods, practices, materials, and tools used in the plumbing trade.
- Ability to identify faulty or substandard materials and workmanship through inspections.
- Ability to check and interpret plans and specifications of ordinary complexity and to compare them with work in progress and enforce changes or corrections as required.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise reports, perform minor clerical duties, and prepare and present evidence in court as required.
- Ability to enforce regulations and use tact, diplomacy, and courtesy when dealing with other staff members, architects, engineers, contractors, trades people, and others.
- Ability to communicate effective orally and in writing.
- Proficient in computer and technology skills.
REQUIRED LICENCES, CERTIFICATES, ETC.
- Completion of secondary school or its equivalent.
- Valid BC Trades Qualification in Plumbing.
- Must have passed the Plumbing Officials’ Association of BC Level I examination.
- Minimum three months’ previous experience in a municipal or provincial setting or field experience directly related to enforcement of bylaws, regulations, and acts.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s Licence.
For new hires, and for those working in designated positions of trust, including those working directly with vulnerable persons, no formal offer of employment will be made until an applicant completes and passes a criminal record check.
Development, Engineering and Sustainability
Chief Building Official
British Columbia [BC]
Compensation & Benefits Overview
Comprehensive benefits package available.
Please note that persons with disabilities who require assistance with the application process may contact the Human Resources Department at (250) 828-3439.
To apply for this position, please visit our website at https://www.kamloops.ca/city-hall/career opportunities.
Location: Kamloops, BC
Region: Thompson / Shuswap / Columbia
Professional Categories: Plumbing/Pipefitting/Gas/Steam
Posted: July 26, 2019, 2:42 pm
Expires: October 25, 2019, 4:30 pm