BC Local Government Job Posting Service
School District No. 40 (New Westminster)
New Westminster Schools seeks a collaborative leader to serve as Secretary-Treasurer. Reporting to the Superintendent of Schools, the Secretary-Treasurer will join a senior leadership team that is committed to the principle of continuous improvement and excellence in creating and maintaining a robust learning community.
About New Westminster Schools
New Westminster is located in the center of Metro Vancouver between the larger communities of Burnaby, Coquitlam, Surrey, and Richmond. Despite its location, the city is relatively small and has retained a strong sense of history and community. The total population is approximately 70,000 and is expected to grow to 84,000 by 2021. District schools are, in general, fully subscribed, and a modest increase in student enrolment is expected over the next few years.
The student population is reflective of the city’s population, with a full range of social and cultural backgrounds forming a diverse presence in our schools.
- Approximately 7000 K-12 students in 12 schools (8 elementary, 3 middle and 1 secondary), including:
- 312 Aboriginal students;
- 1,196 English Language Learner (ELL) students;
- 1,011 French Immersion students; and,
- 562 students with identified Special Needs.
- In addition to the 12 schools in the district, New Westminster Schools is proud to have three Youth Alternate Programs, two Adult Learning Centres, and a Home Learners’ Program. New Westminster School District has a rich tapestry of cultures, backgrounds and needs. Together, we are a caring, inclusive, and committed learning community dedicated to supporting each of our unique learners.
About the position
As the district’s chief financial officer, the Secretary-Treasurer will be an integral part of the senior management team and have overall district responsibility for all corporate services. With Board approved strategic and facilities plans in place, along with a sound financial foundation, the CFO will be a strategic partner in moving the district forward.
These duties include, but are not limited to the administration and management of finances, facilities (including capital planning) and non-educational services necessary for the orderly operation of the school district, and the development of policy and procedures for all areas of the organization.
About the candidate
- Superior interpersonal, communication, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Dynamic leadership style that is open and transparent with a commitment to problem solving
- Strong commitment to relationships
- Demonstrated success at a senior management level, ideally in a BC public school district or similar organization
- Ability to work as a positive member of a team supporting both the educational and administrative goals of the district
Specific candidate qualifications
- Professional accounting designation – CPA (CA, CGA, CMA)
- Exemplary financial planning and management skills
- Extensive knowledge and experience with computer technology and computerized financial administration systems
- Experience with provincial legislation compliance requirements
- Experience in supporting board governance
Candidates for the position should submit an application package that includes, a covering letter, resume/curriculum vitae, copies of relevant certifications, and a statement of financial management achievements, approach to leadership, and learning philosophy, in the context of K-12 public education. References will be requested at a later stage of the selection process.
This posting will remain open until filled, but those applying before September 3rd will be assured of consideration.
Application packages should be sent by email to:
Executive Director of Human Resources
New Westminster Schools
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Corporate Administration,Financial Administration
Posted: July 19, 2019, 3:42 pm
Expires: September 3, 2019, 4:30 pm