BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Position: Corporate Energy Management Coordinator (Temporary, Full-Time)Closing Date: Open Until Filled
At the City of Kamloops, we are focused on creating the highest levels of service excellence, based on an organization-wide community culture that celebrates the employees who make it all happen. We offer many advantages including ongoing training and professional development opportunities, coupled with exceptional benefits, all in the beautiful natural setting of the BC Interior.
Kamloops is Canada’s Tournament Capital, a family and business-friendly community committed to providing great customer service, enhancing community partnerships, and supporting economic growth. Our 700 employees provide customer services and programs to a local and regional population of 125,000 people. Kamloops provides abundant recreational possibilities for residents and visitors alike, as well as education and culture opportunities and activities.
Corporate Energy Management Coordinator (Temporary, Full-Time)
Days of Work
Monday to Friday
Hours of Work
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
This is a temporary, full-time contract position starting approximately August 2019 for a minimum of 1 year.
Reporting to the Sustainability Services Supervisor and working across all departments, this position is accountable for advancing energy efficiency and conservation, with a focus on reducing costs and emissions of municipal energy consumers including civic facilities, fleet and water utility. The focus of this position is to support key internal stakeholders to identify low carbon electrification project opportunities, and to facilitate continuous operational improvements of municipal facilities and infrastructure. The Corporate Energy Specialist fosters sustainable behaviour, and implements cost-effective efficiency and conservation measures.
The Corporate Energy Specialist is responsible for developing, implementing and reporting on relevant plans including the utility-based Strategic Energy Management Plan (SEMP) and the Corporate Energy Management and Emissions Management Plan. The incumbent acts as a liaison between the City and BC Hydro to influence technical and behavioural change as it relates to energy efficiency and conservation. The incumbent is accountable for tracking energy costs and usage, benchmarking and completing a variety of statistical reports for the City and BC Hydro. The incumbent will help to identify energy management issues, gaps and opportunities through technical analyses, business case development and liaison with a variety of City managers, staff, and contractors to support the implementation of efficiency measures and incentives.
The incumbent must be passionate about energy conservation and ensure that he/she is aware of current technological, policy, incentives and programs related to the industry.
- Responsible for the deliverables of the SEMP as outlined in the BC Hydro Commercial Energy Manager Agreement, including but not limited to submitting proof for verification by BC Hydro of implemented energy conservation projects that result in claims of 500,000 kWh of annual energy savings.
- Coordinate and implement the SEMP and the Corporate Energy and Emissions Management Plan including but not limited to researching and advising on the creation of policies, business cases and initiatives directed towards energy efficiency and conservation across all City departments.
- Compile, maintain and analyze energy management-related information, such as energy bills, reports and meter data, to identify savings opportunities and priorities.
- Liaise with City staff, management, consultants and external agencies, including BC Hydro, on energy management initiatives with the goal of influencing operational, organizational and technological changes within the corporation.
- Contribute to the preparation of operational and capital budgets as requested.
- Participate in regular staff meetings; coordinate, assist and/or facilitate key energy management stakeholder meetings, including the Energy Management Assessment.
- Develop short- and long-range action plans for prioritizing and implementing energy conservation measures and employee engagement campaigns.
- Complete a variety of statistical reports for the City and BC Hydro.
- Prepare applications for external funding sources for energy studies, facility/equipment retrofits and engagement campaigns.
- Perform other related duties.
REQUIRED EDUCATION Must have at least one of the following:
- Registered Professional Engineer
- Registered Engineering Technologist
- Certified Energy Manager
- Registered Professional Planner
- Masters designation in business, planning, sustainability or appropriate business field
- BCIT Sustainable Energy Management Associate
- UBC Masters in Clean Energy
- Certified Journeyman Electrician
- Certified Technician in HVAC or Instrumentation
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Three (3) years’ relevant experience in planning and implementing energy management, renewable energy and/or sustainability projects and initiatives;
- Proven ability to develop compelling business cases and write comprehensive reports;
- Demonstrated knowledge in financial analysis and preparing and managing budgets;
- Proficient in computer software applications including Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point;
- Comprehensive written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively deliver presentations to all levels within an organization;
- Demonstrated skills in designing and delivering stakeholder engagement activities;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to foster strong relationships with internal and external clients;
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver's License and the ability to travel in all weather conditions.
PREFERRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Previous experience in a municipal government setting.
- Five (5) years’ relevant experience in planning and implementing energy management, renewable energy and/or sustainability projects and initiatives.
- Sustainable Energy Management Advanced Certificate
- NRCan Dollars to Sense Workshops
For new hires, and for those working in designated positions of trust, including those working directly with vulnerable persons, no formal offer of employment will be made until an applicant completes and passes a criminal record check.
Development, Engineering and Sustainability
Sustainability Services Supervisor
British Columbia [BC]
Compensation & Benefits Overview
Comprehensive benefits package available.
Please note that persons with disabilities who require assistance with the application process may contact the Human Resources Department at (250) 828-3439.
To apply for this position, please visit our website at https://www.kamloops.ca/city-hall/career opportunities.
Location: Kamloops, BC
Region: Thompson / Shuswap / Columbia
Professional Categories: Energy Management
Posted: July 15, 2019, 10:20 am
Expires: September 16, 2019, 4:30 pm