BC Local Government Job Posting Service
City of Merritt
Planning and Development Services Manager
Merritt, A Lifestyle Community
“The Country Music Capital of Canada” with a population of approximately 7,500 is inviting applications for the Planning and Development Services Manager position. A great place to live, work and play, Merritt is located in the beautiful Nicola Valley. At the crossroads of the Coquihalla highways, Merritt is centrally located between Kelowna and Kamloops and is only a three-hour drive from downtown Vancouver. Our community is rich in culture and arts and boasts yearround recreation opportunities, supported by our warm, dry summers and mild winters.
The Planning and Development Services Manager reports to the Director of Engineering and Development and is responsible for the oversight of building, zoning, and development administration in the City, as well as the management of the Development Services Team.
The Planning & Development Services Manager is responsible for receiving and processing land use applications and supporting Councils vision of growth as set out in the OCP. This position entails bylaw review and drafting and provides general technical support to the Director and other municipal departments as required.
Qualifications & Experience
- A University Degree in Community/Regional Planning or a related field, supplemented by certificates or courses in Local Government Management, Public Administration, Urban Design, or GIS.
- A Master’s degree in planning (or working towards) would be an asset.
- Five years of professional planning experience.
- Professional Designation as a Registered Professional Planner in BC.
- A valid BC Drivers Licence.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to plan, organize and direct the activities of department personnel.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with politicians, senior staff, employees, other agencies and the public.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, presentation, facilitation, decision making and general management skills.
- Proven skills in problem resolution with public, employees and other agencies.
- Ability to effectively prepare and present reports to Council.
- Ability to organize and prioritize.
- Ability to work independently on own initiative.
This is a regular, full time salaried position with a comprehensive benefit package.
If you are interested in a challenging opportunity with a progressive municipal government, please forward your resume, in confidence, to the City of Merritt, no later than 4:00pm, Friday, August 2, 2019 to:
Deputy Clerk/Human Resources Manager
City of Merritt
PO Box 189, 2185 Voght Street
Merritt, BC V1K 1B8
Or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The City of Merritt wishes to express their appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Location: Merritt, BC
Region: Thompson / Shuswap / Columbia
Professional Categories: Planning & Development
Posted: July 11, 2019, 9:28 am
Expires: August 2, 2019, 4:00 pm