BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Utility Systems Operator Trainee - Liquid Waste (2 Positions)Position Status: Full-Time Temporary (This position to last not later than December 20, 2019)
Department: Liquid Waste Services
Employee Group: GVRDEU
Location: Still Creek Works Yard, Burnaby & Newton Works Yard, Surrey
Our Liquid Waste Services Department is seeking two Utility Systems Operator Trainees - Liquid Waste who are passionate about working with Metro Vancouver’s Sanitary and Drainage Infrastructure. You demonstrate outstanding work ethic and a safety first attitude. You are self-motivated, enjoy working outdoors and in complex facilities with a variety of teams as well as working independently. You are detail orientated, well organized and have an interest in further developing your working knowledge of Sanitary & Drainage Systems.
You are: A hard working individual who is looking to develop their knowledge in the principles, practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the daily evaluation, maintenance and repair of our Sanitary and Drainage systems. You have strong communication skills and the ability to carry out detailed instruction in a safe and effective manner.
This role: (The duties described hereunder are intended to be representative of the position and are not to be considered as all inclusive.)
- Works in the operation, inspecting and maintaining of wastewater collection and drainage system facilities.
- Assists in inspection and maintenance of equipment.
- Assists in performing system facility inspections and cleaning.
- Performs general repairs, housekeeping, painting, etc.
- Performs maintenance tasks including gravel, debris and windfall removal, brush cutting, vegetation management, slope and bank stability, beaver dam removal etc.
- Operates power tools, mowers, chain saws, jackhammers, and vehicles and equipment to fulfill the needs of the position.
- Performs construction duties such as sanitary/storm sewer repairs, raising and rebuilding of manholes, sanitary/storm sewer connections, road building and watercourse rehabilitation works.
- Ensures all work carried out adheres to and is in compliance with policies/procedures, including all WorkSafe BC and MV safety policies/procedures.Advises superiors of situations requiring review.
- Maintains operating records, submits work progress reports and timecards, etc.
To be successful, you have:
- Grade 12 education or equivalent (Preference will be given if supplemented with courses in civil and mechanical technology, computers, electrical, instrumentation etc.).
- Preference will be given to those with utility and/or construction experience.
- Mechanical proficiency and construction aptitude.
- Ability to operate power and pneumatic tools.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to demonstrate safety awareness.
- Physically capable of performing the duties of the position and willingness and ability to work shift work as required.
- Willingness to undertake additional training relating to the duties of the position.
- Valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License.
The Trainee will, within 24 months of commencement of regular full-time employment, obtain EOCP Wastewater Collections Level 1 certification through the “B.C. Environmental Operators Certification Program” (EOCP). Upon obtaining WWC Level 1 certification, the incumbent will be reclassified to USO I.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by July 24, 2019.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Public Works & Operations,Sewer & Wastewater
Posted: July 10, 2019, 9:42 am
Expires: July 24, 2019, 4:30 pm