BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Interested in becoming a Firefighter?
The City of North Vancouver and the Districts of North and West Vancouver are jointly recruiting for professional Firefighters. Are you community-minded, positive, energetic, active and looking for a fulfilling career?
- Proof that you have passed one of the following: University of Victoria Firefighter Fitness Test OR University of Alberta Firefighter Fitness Test on September 1, 2018 or later, up to the closing date of this competition. Please note that we reserve the right to request a reevaluation if necessary.
- Successful completion of an approved Firefighter Training program resulting in a minimum of Firefighter Level 2 Certificate (NFPA1001).
- High School graduation.
- Successful completion of at least one year of post secondary education (e.g. academic/technical/trades) OR
- At least one year accumulated work experience after high school (equivalent to full time hours), preferably in work related to the needs of the Fire Service. (e.g. building construction, mechanical, driving trucks and/or large or emergency vehicles, fire service, first aid, nursing, paramedic, instructor/educator, full-time competitive athlete etc.).
- Physically fit for the position of Firefighter and medically fit according to the standards set in NFPA 1582. It is the candidate’s responsibility to review and understand these standards.
- A valid BC Driver’s Licence, Class 3 with Air Brake endorsement. Please note: If you are applying from another province you should contact the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) at 1-800-950-1498 to ensure your licence is equivalent to a BC Class 3 driver’s licence with Air Brake endorsement. In your on-line application to our competition, you should provide written confirmation of this. If ICBC will not provide written confirmation to you for inclusion in your on-line application to our competition, you are required to include a letter from yourself confirming that you have contacted ICBC and that they confirmed that your out of province driver’s licence is equivalent.
- Safe and responsible driving behaviour as demonstrated on a current driver’s abstract. More than 6 points in the last 3 years from the date of application are considered excessive and may eliminate an applicant from further consideration. Other aspects of your driving record will also be considered.
- Successful completion of and current certification, in Occupational First Aid - Level 1 OR Standard First Aid – Industry with CPR Level C OR Emergency First Aid – Industry.
- Computer literacy (i.e. proficiency in Microsoft Office and/or common software applications).
- Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada.
- No criminal convictions related to the job of Firefighter. Please refer to the Ministry of Public Safety & Solicitor General website for more information about the Criminal Records Review Act.
- Progress towards or completion of a post-secondary education program (e.g. academic, technical or trades training).
- Higher level first aid or first responder certification.
- Additional Fire Service related courses.
- Ability to swim and related life-saving certificates.
- Demonstration of service to the community through volunteer experience, other than serving as a volunteer Firefighter.
* For a detailed list of preferred requirements/qualifications, refer to the online 2019 Firefighter Applicant Guide.
The current starting salary for all three departments is as follows: First 6 months: $5768 per month (January 1, 2019 rates). These rates are subject to change. A comprehensive benefits package is offered.
Review application instructions and apply on-line at northshorefirerecruiting.ca prior to 5:00 p.m. on Friday, July 26, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in the City of North Vancouver and the Districts of North and West Vancouver.
July 2, 2019
Location: North Vancouver and West Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Fire & Rescue Services
Posted: July 3, 2019, 9:07 am
Expires: July 26, 2019, 5:00 pm