BC Local Government Job Posting Service
City of Surrey
Community Services Assistant 3 - Archives Collections Assistant
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey.
The Community Service Assistant 3 (Archives Collections Assistant) will assist the Archivist to make collections more publicly accessible through the digitization and description of archival records. All archival descriptions will be entered into the MINISIS database and made available to the public through Heritage Services’ SAMOA (Surrey Archives & Museum Online Access) search engine. The successful candidate will also assist with outreach events and reference services.
Surrey Heritage Services is seeking an enthusiastic Archives Collections Assistant who is interested in contributing to the rapidly growing and diversified community of Surrey. The Archives Collections Assistant will:
- Digitize and describe archival records including photographs and documents;
- Enter all descriptions in the MINISIS database and make available to the public in-person in the Archives Reference Room and online through SAMOA;
- Assist in reference services, public programming and outreach events.
- Completion of grade 12 and some post-secondary education from a recognized institution - courses in history, archival research or records management are an asset.
- 2 years related experience including supervision
- Emergency First Aid and CPR certificates or acceptable equivalent.
This position is supported by Heritage Canada's Young Canada Works (YCW) Building Careers in Heritage. The position is contingent on Federal Government Grant funding. Successful candidates much meet the criteria set forth by the grant program, including:
- Must have graduated from a recognized post-secondary institution within the last 24 months;
- Be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- Are an unemployed or underemployed college or university graduate and will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with this position. Start & End
- October 8, 2019 to March 7, 2020
Days of Position:
- Tuesday – Saturday
To find out more, visit: https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/funding/young-canada-works.html
Conditions of Employment
Applicants under consideration will be required to consent to a Police Information Check/Vulnerable Sector Check.
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca
Location: Surrey, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Community Services,Museum & Archive Services
Posted: July 2, 2019, 3:46 pm
Expires: August 16, 2019, 4:30 pm