BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Civil CADD TechnologistParks & Environmental Services – Facility Management & Engineering
Regular Full time
Hours of Work
70 hours bi-weekly
Rate of Pay
$37.11 - $42.10 per hour
Review of applications begins
This competition will remain open until a successful candidate is found.
The Civil CADD Technologist will perform civil/ mechanical/ structural engineering design drafting duties of a complex nature utilizing various computer drafting software (CADD) or occasionally manual techniques. The Civil CADD Technologist works directly with the Design Engineer and/or the Senior Engineering Technician and requires accuracy, thoroughness, and the ability to deal with change. This position will also provide technical support to the Digital Engineering and Mapping Supervisor.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Completes complex design drafting assignments for a wide variety of engineering capital works, sewer, water or solid waste projects such as: horizontal/vertical pipe alignment; pipe layout and structures for pump stations, valve chambers, reservoirs; volume, material and cost estimates; site layout and grading; road alignments, etc.
- Liaises with the Design Engineer and/or the Senior Engineering Technician for initial design parameters for checking and/or approval of design including alignment, geometry and details and to develop design and drawings to tender stage.
- Completes drafting assignments for mapping, report drawings, graphs, charts, overheads, display graphics, etc., from rough sketches and instructions.
- Checks accuracy of design information when provided (i.e. pipe lengths, grades, inverts, etc.).
- Carries out preliminary site investigations.
- Plots from survey notes with a clear understanding of surveying theory.
- Plots from legal plans or metes and bounds descriptions.
- Collects field data using a level or Trimble R10 GPS Survey System as required.
- Liaises and works cooperatively with contractors, consultants, government agencies, utility companies, suppliers, print shops and the public.
- Calculates structural framing sizes using buildings codes, standard reference tables and manuals.
- Researches materials, pipe fittings, etc. for dimensions and clearances.
- Develops standards for survey pick-up for use when downloaded into AutoCad Civil 3D software and liaises with surveyors to ensure these standards are adhered to.
- Develops standards and sets parameters within AutoCad Civil 3D software to set up digital files to achieve accurate volume calculations, cross sections, profiles, road/site designs, etc.
- Carries out field construction inspection as requested.
- Follows all policies, procedures and standards of the CRD
- Performs other related duties as required.
- One (1) year Civil Engineering certificate program (or equivalent) plus nine to eleven (9 to 11) years’ progressively responsible and related design drafting experience using AutoCad Civil 3D software in a civil engineering office or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Membership in or actively seeking eligibility for membership as CTech in the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and customer service skills are required.
- Proficiency with, AutoCad Civil 3D, MS PowerPoint, MS Word, Windows Explorer, plotters, printers, scanners, photocopiers, fax machines, e-mail, etc.
- Working knowledge of civil, structural, mechanical engineering construction materials/practices and engineering drafting practices, standards, techniques and theories.
- Knowledge of survey mathematics, theories and practices and GPS Trimble Survey Systems.
- Knowledge of civil design pertaining to buildings, sewer, water, roads, drainage and surveying.
- Ability to use personal initiative, judgement and knowledge in determining techniques, selecting presentation methods while consistently producing high quality design projects.
- Must possess a valid BC Driver’s Licence.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and covering letter online at www.crd.bc.ca under “Careers”.
The CRD wishes to thank you for your interest and advises that only those candidates under active consideration will be contacted.
Location: Victoria, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Engineering,Drafting
Posted: June 26, 2019, 9:14 am
Expires: July 31, 2019, 4:00 pm