BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Planning Assistant 1
Temporary, Full Time (1 year term)
NO. OF POSITIONS:
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
35 hours per week*
$50,093 - $58,878 annually
The Development Services Department requires a Planning Assistant to perform a variety of support duties in a team environment. Our successful candidate will provide service excellence in answering public inquiries and provide information to the public and City staff about policy projects, zoning and other regulations, bylaws and policies. You will also provide technical and administrative support to the Division‘s planners on policy and development projects; process minor development-related applications; prepare communication materials related to planning procedures, policies and regulations; facilitate updates of City policies and regulations; research community planning issues and prepare summary reports; and organize, prepare materials and provide support for public meetings.
- A degree from a recognized post-secondary institution in Applied Planning, Community Planning, Geography or other related field, plus sound related experience, preferably in a Municipal Planning Department, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Knowledge of the relevant sections of the Local Government Act, the Zoning Bylaw, the Official Community Plan, and other regulations, bylaws and policies applicable to the work.
- Sound knowledge of departmental functions, objectives, policies and procedures.
- Some knowledge of basic planning principles.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret various construction plans and specifications.
- Ability to process and approve sign permit, development variance permit, and minor development permit applications, and to explain related bylaws.
- Ability to employ contemporary service excellence principles and provide a variety of detailed information, assistance and interpretations when liaising with internal and external contacts.
- Ability to perform research in support of planning issues, to prepare concise reports and to maintain records.
- Ability to perform assigned duties with minimal supervision and to provide guidance to junior staff as required.
- Ability to function effectively as a team player.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to effectively use the MicroSoft Office Suite of products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), graphics software (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Picassa and Bridge), as well as Tempest. Preference for those with GIS experience.
- Valid BC Driver’s license.
*City Hall hours of operation are Monday, 8am to 7pm, and Tuesday – Friday, 8am to 5pm. The successful candidate will be scheduled on Mondays from 10:30am to 7pm on a rotational basis. Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #19-81, by June 21, 2019 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.