BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Human Resources AdvisorPosition Status: Full-Time Temporary (This position to last not later than December 31, 2019)
Department: Human Resources
Employee Group: Exempt
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Our Human Resources Department is seeking a Human Resources Advisor who will assist and support Metro Vancouver by providing advice on collective agreements, corporate policies, job descriptions and evaluation, and applicable jurisprudence and legislation.
You are a labour relations practitioner who has a proven track record of analyzing issues, taking a balanced view and recommending pragmatic solutions. Your skill set also includes being able to work with and guide a team of professionals while building consensus on diverse topics and maintaining relationships.
The Human Resources Advisor reports to the Director, HR Employee & Labour Relations and falls within our Professional/Technical Level 2 job family.
- Assists and supports management by providing professional advice on rights and responsibilities under collective agreements, pertinent legislation and corporate policies.
- Keeps current on applicable laws, statutes, and acts associated with scope of responsibilities.
- Conducts workplace investigations, advises managers in matters of culpable and non-culpable matters, and makes recommendations on appropriate outcomes or resolutions.Liaise with legal counsel as required.
- Supports management in responding to and resolving grievances and complaints; negotiates and drafts grievance settlements and letters of agreement.
- Represents management in arbitration or collective bargaining as required.
- Participates in collective bargaining.
- Conducts and makes recommendations for appropriate outcomes; analyzes complex scenarios requiring the input of various stakeholders and makes recommendations to the Director, Employee and Labour Relations for consideration.
- Provides guidance to employees and supervisors on compensation and classification matters; develops and updates classification and position descriptions; writes duty, qualification and experience statements, and recommends rates of pay that align with comparable positions.
- Responds to questions from employees and management and provides advice on workplace issues; promotes cooperation and teamwork and aides the resolution of conflict.
- Works as part of a team to revise and update corporate policies and assists with the development and delivery of training on labour relations and human resources management topics.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To be successful, you have:
- 5 years of recent, related experience supplemented by a university degree or diploma in a relevant discipline such as business or human resources and experience working in a complex, multi-union environment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Designation as a Certified Human Resources Professional is preferred.
- Sound knowledge and ability to interpret relevant legislation and acts such as the Employment Standards Act, Labour Relations Code and the Human Rights Code.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of human resources management principles including labour relations, compensation and job evaluation.
- Ability to work under general direction and use sound independent judgment in adapting and applying procedures to address and resolve unusual or problem situations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including effective listening and persuasion skills. Superior business writing skills including the ability to analyze and revise the content of job descriptions and draft non-routine correspondence to employees and the union regarding discipline and grievance negotiations and settlements.
- Ability to build and maintain effective and respectful working relationships with internal and external contacts under circumstances that may be controversial or highly sensitive.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team oriented work environment.
- Sound judgment and problem solving skills; ability to analyze business needs and provide strategic input.
- Ability to provide professional advice and guide managers on employee relations issues and general HR topics; strong analytical, interpretation and research skills and displays a high degree of integrity and professionalism.
- Ability to meet timelines and objectives and demonstrates persistence to overcome obstacles.
- Practical knowledge of a complex human resources information system such as PeopleSoft.
- Proficiency using Microsoft office programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by June 28, 2019.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Human Resources
Posted: June 14, 2019, 1:25 pm
Expires: June 28, 2019, 4:30 pm