BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Project Manager - UtilityRequisition ID: 13259
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Project Manager – Utility will assist in leading the delivery of a civil infrastructure capital program up to $550M over 8 years. In conjunction with the project team and partners, this position will work to develop a delivery strategy and subsequent execution of the strategy to support city-wide goals related to affordability, livability, well-being, sustainability and climate change resilience.
Infrastructure packages delivered will feature best practices in water management including green infrastructure rainwater interventions within public right-of-way and open spaces, and grey infrastructure, including underground pipes in various materials, sizes and depths, storage and treatment, and incorporate opportunistic surface level transportation and public realm improvements
The successful candidate will report directly to the Utility Program Delivery Senior Project Manager and will work in a matrix environment supporting client business units. This position will assist with leading cross functional project teams which will include engineers, engineers in training, superintendents, engineering assistants, and other technical and support roles. The position will also assist with manage third party consultants and contractors.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the Senior Project Manager across the Utility Program Delivery project in design and construction
- Plans out the projects in detail, clearly identifying project scope, budget and schedule as well as project risks, project organization and project management approach. Documents the plans in a Project Charter document
- Ensures all relevant City Departments are consulted in the process and progress of the project
- Assists with management of multiple consultants and contractors
- Assists with all relevant local, provincial and federal permit applications
- Monitors, forecasts, and reports on project status (cash flows and scheduling)
- Procures project resources (design and construction), contract administration, and close out
- Project reporting, cost estimating, scheduling and measuring project performance.
- Assists the project team with presentations, public engagement and meetings with various members of the public, stakeholder community groups, and partners
- Facilitates meetings and regularly reporting on project status to Managers and project Sponsors
- Ensures that project performance meet expectations in terms of timelines and scope completion
- Ensures proper project closeout at completion. Manages the sign-off process for project deliverables from stakeholders. Documents and presents a project closeout analysis
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor or Master Degree in Engineering, or Construction Management, from a recognized post-secondary institution or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Technical Diploma in Construction Management or related is an asset
- Registration or eligibility to register as an EIT or P.Eng with EGBC is a strong asset
- Familiarity with MMCD and CCDC standard
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation an asset
- Minimum of 5 years of industry experience in design and construction project management with progressively complex, business transformation projects leading multi-disciplinary teams, with preference in civil engineering and construction
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience in managing complex projects and schedules that include managing multiple consultants and contractors simultaneously
- Proven experience in managing teams and diverse stakeholder groups, including ability to direct and supervise the work of junior engineering/planning assistants and other unionized and non-unionized support staff
- Proven experience developing and reporting on project and programs, and researching, and preparing business cases for various projects and initiatives
- Experience working on projects with a value of over $50 million will be considered a strong asset
- Demonstrated working knowledge of civil engineering practices and procedures related to the design, construction and maintenance of transportation and/or underground utility infrastructure
- Familiar with the City of Vancouver’s Project Management Framework is an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to confidently interact with the public on contentious topics
- Demonstrated ability to translate technical information into material that can be easily understood by a broad audience through collaboration with content experts
- Excellent presentation skills to public and community groups
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with technical and professional staff, as well as external third parties
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and Microsoft Project
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July 2019
Application Close: June 19, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.