BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Operations Worker IIRequisition ID: 13768
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Under direct supervision, the Operations Worker II is responsible for a variety of tasks, which can include heavy physical effort and agility and the use of hand and/or motorized tools used for general horiculture maintenance, brushing for restoration projects, and trail maintenance. The successful candidates may be required to operate portable electric and gas powered tools, motorized construction and maintenance equipment, timber work, setting forms, mixing, placing and finishing concrete, asphalt placing, line painting or equivalent tasks. These roles will contribute to the overall care and maintenance of Vancouver Parks.
A current and valid Class 5 or higher Drivers License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out the responsibilities of the position. Transportation arrangements must meet operational requirements of the Department. Applicants will be required to provide a current drivers’ abstract and claims history report – both available through ICBC's website. The successful candidates must be prepared to work in various park locations within the organization. Functional and or physical assessment related to the bona fide position requirements may be required.
Candidatesmust attach the following documents to be considered:
- Driving Records Abstract for the past 5 years
- Insurance & Claims History for the past 3 years
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Successful candidates must have sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform heavy physical labour; ability to lift, push and pull heavy objects; ability to walk or stand continuously with frequent bending or twisting; ability to work close to moving machinery and in high traffic areas; ability to work on ladders, ability to work outside in all weather conditions, and on uneven surfaces; ability to use a variety of tools and equipment.
The Operations Worker II’s may be responsible for a variety of park operations tasks including digging, planting, weeding, raking and edging flowerbeds, sweeping and clearing pathways, cutting grass, operating mowers, using line trimmers and general turf care equipment, as well as other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- Up to completion of high school and some work experience in basic labour; horticulture training or experience an asset.
- Class 5 or higher Drivers License for the Province of British Columbia.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of safe work procedures
- Sound knowledge of the tools, materials and equipment used in the work.
- Some knowledge of construction and landscape maintenance tasks.
- Some knowledge of the functions of the branch concerned and the establish practices in carrying out the work.
- Ability to exercise some independence of judgement and action in the routine or simple aspects of the work.
- Ability to courteously answer questions and deal with the public.
- Ability to use a variety of tools and equipment
- Skill in the use a variety of tools and equipment used in construction, maintenance, and landscape maintenance.
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to permit the performance of heavy manual outdoor work in all weather.
A current and valid BC Driver’s License and safe driving record is required for this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: June 2019
Position End Date: August 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-310: $28.67 per hour
Application Close: June 19, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Parks & Recreation,Public Works & Operations
Posted: June 13, 2019, 1:12 pm
Expires: June 19, 2019, 11:59 pm