BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Planning AnalystRequisition ID: 13343
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Planning Analyst position is responsible for supporting the Long Range Transportation Planning section on several key initiatives including the City-wide plan, Transport 2050 and, the City’s Climate Emergency Response, among others. The planning analyst is expected to contribute progressive and passionate approaches to transportation planning. This will involve thoughtful analyses translated into artful stories; the Planning Analyst is chiefly responsible for providing foundational evidence, information, and visuals to support and inform planning efforts and decision-making.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Supports the development of long-range transportation planning initiatives, policies and programs.
- Analyzes data and information to investigate trends, identify gaps and areas of opportunity, and to support decision-making efforts.
- Supports the delivery of transportation feasibility studies.
- Develops visual materials to convey complex information in a more digestible and exciting way, such that it can be understood by a broader audience.
- Develops written memos and reports to document analyses and recommendations as input into broader processes. Ensures quality in the work.
- Researches best practices, precedents and literature to help advance bold transportation solutions.
- Initiates progressive and inventive analyses and assessment methods to support network, policy or infrastructure recommendations.
- Creates content for, supports the development of, and helps organize workshops and presentations with internal and external stakeholders.
- Practices discretion and due consideration when discussing ongoing City business, and while representing the Transportation Planning branch at internal and external events.
- Coordinates with coworkers to prioritize work and solicit feedback from senior engineers and planners.
- Supports the public engagement and current transportation planning teams within Transportation Planning when required.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- A post-graduate degree in urban planning, transportation planning, urban geography or equivalent.
- Three to five years of related professional experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated transportation network and spatial analysis experience.
- Demonstrated experience translating complex and technical analyses into concise memos or reports and actionable recommendations.
- Experience working within a large and complex organization.
- Experience balancing self-sufficient and collaborative work environments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated passion for healthy and sustainable transportation
- Demonstrated knowledge of the City’s transportation policies and related current literature, trends, and developments.
- Experience providing excellent written and verbal communication skills to confidently interact with coworkers, senior engineers and planners, and internal stakeholders.
- Experience establishing and maintaining collaborative working relationships with the other employees, other agencies, and officials.
- Demonstrated skill in using GIS applications (ArcGIS, QGIS) and Adobe Creative Suite.Experience using high level programming languages (R, Python, Matlab,etc) is considered an asset.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2019
Position End Date: June, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-024: $36.45 to $43.04 per hour
Application Close: June 21, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Planning & Development
Posted: June 13, 2019, 1:33 pm
Expires: June 21, 2019, 11:59 pm