BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Senior Change ManagerRequisition ID: 13677
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Senior Change Manager is responsible for defining change management strategies and leading all subsequent change management activities, including communications and training, on City projects and transformation initiatives. Through applying a structured change management methodology, the position is responsible for increasing understanding of and commitment to project goals and benefits, and to minimize resulting impacts from business, process, technology and organizational changes. Change management is defined as the process, tools and techniques used to manage the people side of change to achieve the desired outcomes and includes both communications and training
The Senior Change Manager is responsible for hiring, supervising, mentoring, coaching and supporting Change Management Specialists within the Finance, Risk & Supply Chain Project Management Office (PMO). This includes reviewing the change strategies and related plans for Specialists’ projects, carrying out performance reviews, project health checks, developing and monitoring change management metrics.
The Senior Change Manager is responsible for managing, continuously improving and ensuring adherence to the PMO’s change management methodology. The position is responsible for promoting and elevating the change management practice and change maturity level for the City. This will also include providing expert-level advice and change management coaching to executives, senior leaders and select stakeholders as required.
- Develops comprehensive change management strategies and plans for projects and initiatives
- Identifies organizational, technology and business process impacts (and potential gaps) and designs and oversees transition strategies to minimize impacts. Potential impacts include: reassignment of work tasks, new roles/responsibilities and creation/deletion/relocation of positions
- Works both independently and within a group setting to deliver on enterprise-wide transformational projects and provides coaching, communication and training support, in addition to engagement activities
- Develops and evaluates department and organizational readiness assessments, pulse checks and metrics to measure stakeholder readiness during key milestones, including understanding the department and organizational cultures and needs
- Directs execution of transition strategies. This includes:
- Executing change management strategies and plans
- Identifying key risks and determining mitigation strategies
- Facilitation of Human Resources involvement as required
- Liaising with their stakeholder groups to ensure adequate preparations are made for pending changes
- Provides expert-level advice and change management coaching to executives, senior leaders and select stakeholders as required
- Coaches and provides expert-level advice to Change Management Specialists on change management and on working with sponsors and stakeholders.
- Manages, continuously improves and ensures adherence to the PMO’s change management methodology.
- Promotes and works to elevate the change management practice and change maturity level for the City.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Management, Communications, Social Sciences or related discipline; or equivalent combination of training and work experience in the field of change management
- Change Management certification (Prosci, Certified Change Management Professional [CCMP] or equivalent)
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience working as a change management practitioner to successfully design, deliver and implement change management components for major projects, including 3 years in a lead change management role.
- Extensive experience working with stakeholders across all levels, from senior leaders to front-line staff
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of:
- Change management and organizational design concepts, principles and practices
- Communication tools, techniques and standards
- Training design and adult education concepts and principles
- Facilitation techniques, including large group/meeting design and intervention
- Project management methodologies
- Process re-engineering principles
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and presentation skills
- Ability to apply strategic thinking and planning for teams and departments
- Demonstrated ability to influence, manage, coach and motivate staff at all levels
- Ability to build ongoing networks, change champions and key relationships across different service groups and branches
- Ability to analyze and anticipate implications of changes on work processes and procedures
- Ability to solve complex problems and build relationships
- Ability to advise, coach and work with senior executives, varying levels of management and supervisors, unions, vendors, consultants and other staff
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, large workloads and multi-task effectively
- Ability to supervise a team of specialists, coordinate with subject matter experts and network effectively
Business Unit/Department: Finance, Risk & Business Plan (1150)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: July 2019
Position End Date: June 2020
Application Close: June 25, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Change Management
Posted: June 12, 2019, 9:35 am
Expires: June 25, 2019, 11:59 pm