BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Program Assistant IIRequisition ID: 13763
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Program Assistant II works under the direction of a supervisor in planning and implementing a special event or program area organized by a recreation centre.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
This position requires excellent interpersonal skills, enthusiasm, and a strong appreciation for recreation. This position performs routine recreational work including supervision of recreational programs and opening and lockup of the facility. The successful candidate must be able to work independently and as a team member. This position monitors the safety and behaviour of the participants in facility programs or activities; assists in carrying out special events; and performs a variety of routine clerical and reception duties. Hours of work will vary and may include evening and/or weekend shifts.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 and some related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Completion of, or registration in an approved diploma program in Recreation or a related discipline is preferred
- A minimum of six months part-time experience in Recreation or a relevant field is preferred
- Standard or Emergency First Aid with CPR-C required
- A Class 4 driver's license is an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of the behaviour, needs, and interests typical of participants of all ages
- Working knowledge of the practices, procedures and equipment used in recreational programs and activities
- Working knowledge of the safety practices, policies, regulations and rules applicable to the work performed
- Some knowledge of the fundamentals of program leadership
- Some knowledge of office practices and procedures
- The ability to effectively monitor activities and behaviour of participants
- The ability to assist in the planning and carrying out of special events or programs
- The ability to lead groups and provide basic skills instruction in various activities
- The ability to collect fees, issue receipts, and balance cash
- The ability to provide first aid as required
- The ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with other facility staff
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Parks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: July 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-012: $22.48 to $26.36 per hour
Application Close: June 21, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Parks & Recreation,Event Planning/Management
Posted: June 12, 2019, 9:23 am
Expires: June 21, 2019, 11:59 pm