BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Superintendent I - Waterworks OperationsRequisition ID: 13536
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Superintendent I is responsible for optimizing efficiency, managing budgets, presenting metrics, developing process improvements, ensuring that the needs of internal and external customers are met, and creating purpose and direction for their team. The Superintendents I is accountable for the scope, schedule and budget of project and program work within their respective areas of responsibility. They are responsible for leading and developing front line staff. They must ensure every team member understands branch goals and objectives and enable the team to achieve them by providing guidance, feedback and training. The Superintendent I must manage their team in a safe and responsible manner ensuring they adhere to all regulatory obligations, safety procedures and branch policies.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviews and develops annual plans, work priorities, schedules, and crew allocations; drives continuous improvement with a focus on increasing efficiency, safety and engagement Monitors budgets and maintains cost controls
- Understands established branch metrics and assists in developing new metrics, as required; develops, maintains and monitors services levels and resourcing plans for area(s) of responsibility
- Analyzes and prepares detailed reports for the delivery of presentations on operational performance
- Develops business performance strategies
- Optimizes logistics, transport and distribution practices
- Establishes targets for business and quality improvement
- Develops and maintains relationships with internal and external customers
- Aligns branch practices with Engineering PMO, Supply Chain, Finance and HR policies, processes and work flows
- Understands regulatory obligations and ensures compliance Supervision/Leadership/Engagement
- Ability to interpret, follow, explain and direct staff in collective agreement language, City policies and procedures
- Addresses employee labour relations issues and manages the performance development process for direct reports including training and development
- Participates in the recruitment, selection , onboarding and training for new hires
- Works collaboratively with Occupational Health and Safety and Driver Services to ensure organizational safety initiatives and driver training and safety programs are in place
Education and Experience:
- Completion of grade 12 supplemented by technical and/or business management courses related to operations management
- Experience in municipal water distribution systems, maintenance requirements and proper policies
- Minimum of 5 years of operations leadership experience in a Unionized environment
- Project management experience considered an asset
- Previous experience and training using Hansen and/or similar resource/inventory management software/business information software
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of construction and maintenance principles, methods and procedures would be considered an asset
- Demonstrated knowledge of work hazards and WorkSafe BC requirements and legislation
- Good working knowledge and experience with MS Office, SAP and/or similar software
- Understanding of basic financial accounting principles and report on operational area/business area metrics
- Respectful interpersonal skills including conflict and dispute resolution
- Ability to evaluate work methods, processes and procedures, make recommendations for appropriate changes, and implement
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to solve business problems using data and analytical skills
Driver License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License and a safe driving record are required.
- The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
- Local area travel and transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Application Close: June 23, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Water Services
Posted: June 10, 2019, 2:07 pm
Expires: June 23, 2019, 11:59 pm