BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Director of Development Services
Find out why our AMAZING employees love working for the City of Port Coquitlam! Affectionately known as “PoCo”, we are an award winning organization made up of a diverse and dedicated team of people who care deeply about the community they serve.
Reporting to and working closely with our Chief Administrative Officer, in addition to your departmental responsibilities of organizing, planning, coordinating and directing all Planning and Development activities, you would be an integral member of the senior management team who provides collaborative, city-wide leadership and strategic direction. In the Director role, you oversee a team of talented managers and are an advocate for promoting a culture of “One City” where the overall City’s interest is placed ahead of individual departments.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you then we would encourage you at apply:
- Proven communication, leadership and problem solving skills;
- An ability to build effective relationships with key stakeholders in a municipal or public sector setting;
- Have held progressively more senior roles; and
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in the Municipal Planning field with at least five (5) years’ working with BC Planning legislation and some experience and/or training in the Building and Inspection field.
Our ideal candidate has:
- A proven history of positively influencing a wide range of superiors, employees and stakeholders;
- Exceptional relationship building skills ground in the ability to quickly establish credibility, trust and presence;
- Strong strategic thinking skills along with an ability to operationalize abstract or vague direction into action;
- An ability to quickly assess and confirm complex situations through effective listening, consultation, data analysis and analytical skills;
- Experience balancing Council demands and directives with existing priorities and available resources;
- A passion for growing, developing and empowering staff;
- A drive to continually improve customer experiences and successfully engage community members;
- An ability to deliver compelling presentations and write concise, impactful, easy to understand reports on complex topics;
- A demonstrated commitment to ongoing learning and personal development;
- A positive, energetic, “can-do” approach to work; and
- A sense of humour and playful attitude.
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply online by June 28, 2019 at www.portcoquitlam.ca/cityjobs quoting competition number #19-080e.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted. The City of Port Coquitlam will conduct a criminal record check.