BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Zero Waste Project EngineerRequisition ID: 13673
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Zero Waste Project Engineer is responsible for coordinating, managing and applying technical expertise for planning, design, implementation and maintenance of solid waste programs and projects supporting goals and targets for Public Realm Cleanliness, the Greenest City Action Plan (GCAP) for Zero Waste, the Zero Waste 2040 Plan and the Metro Vancouver Integrated Solid Waste and Resource Management Plan (ISWRMP). Reporting to the Senior Engineer, Clean Streets Team, and working closely with staff from Sanitation Operations, this position takes a leadership role with programs and projects and oversees work of Engineering Assistants.
Key projects include design and delivery of on-street recycling and garbage collection infrastructure and programs, and management and development of a unique Street Cleaning Grant Program which provides job support and life skills training opportunities for youth and adults with employment barriers through street micro-cleaning and other waste related programs.
This is an exciting opportunity to help move the City towards our Zero Waste goal, with a key focus on reducing land-based litter and its impact on the marine environment.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with staff and management in Solid Waste Programs, Solid Waste Strategic Services, Sanitation Operations, Transfer and Landfill Operations, as well as Supply Chain Management, Equipment Services, Corporate Communications, Information Technology and Finance:
- Provide project and piloting/testing coordination and management, program and contract administration, including cost estimating, developing and monitoring work scope, performance metrics, budget and schedule:
- Prepare and/or review solid waste infrastructure drawings, and coordinate approvals from other stakeholders
- Research, plan, design and complete and present technical and economic analyses for potential new, or modification to existing, City solid waste programs;
- Participate in or lead the writing, tendering, negotiating and award of contracts (goods, consultants and contractors) for solid waste programs and projects;
- Administering contracts related to the City’s management of solid waste operations and services;
- Drafting for senior staff, Council reports, memos, and responses to questions from members of Council on issues related to solid waste management;
- Developing public communications in collaboration with Corporate Communications and senior staff;
- Responding to and resolving public complaints and conflicts between the public and City staff or City contractors;
- Liaising externally with Metro Vancouver and other municipalities in Canada and the U.S. engaged in related efforts; and
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned to support senior staff and the strategies and actions in the GCAP for zero waste.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Civil or Environmental preferred.
- Registration or eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer or EIT in British Columbia.
- Minimum three years engineering related work experience preferably within or related to planning and implementing public works programs, ideally with experience in municipal solid waste management, waste reduction, recycling, composting and street cleaning programs;
- A valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a Satisfactory driving record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Project management experience including contract management of engineering projects.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Experience in dealing with multiple tasks, and setting and meeting competing deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and outside organizations, and work collaboratively within a team environment with little supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: August, 2019
Application Close Date: June 28, 2019
The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our internal careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Engineering,Project Management
Posted: June 7, 2019, 12:43 pm
Expires: June 28, 2019, 11:59 pm