BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Development EngineerRequisition ID: 13675
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Integrated Water Management Branch leads the planning of water resources including sanitary, storm, rain, and ground water to support our growing City while regenerating urban watersheds and ecosystems. We do this by preparing integrated water management plans, in conjunction with land use and spatial planning for the medium and long term, as well as, ensuring that water policies are upheld for new development applications. The team also administers the City’s growth driven capital program funded by the Utilities Development Cost Levy.
Our team has an immediate need for a Development Engineer to provide engineering utility input, application review, project management and process management for developments in the City of Vancouver. The position is responsible for sewer, and water utilities servicing and rainwater management and green infrastructure requirements for development proposals at various stages ranging from policy statements, rezoning applications to development permits. It also supports the delivery of those requirements through submission and design reviews and project management during construction delivery phases.
The Development Engineer will report to the Senior Engineer in the Integrated Water Management Branch and will work closely with the technical representatives in various branches including Development & Major Projects, Sewer & Drainage Design, Waterworks Design, Green Infrastructure Implementation, and Utilities Modeling and Data Management Branches and liaise with stakeholders in other City departments including Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability, Development Buildings and Licensing, the development industry, and a variety of technical consultants and architects.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides utility direction for development policy statements and provides technical insight at technical team meetings
- Reviews development proposals and evaluates existing sewer and water systems to determine if upgrades are required
- Completes rezoning and development application reviews for sewer, water and rainwater management infrastructure requirements
- Reviews designs and/or tender documents for sewer, water and rainwater and green infrastructure for compliance with City design standards and requirements
- Reviews rainwater management and green infrastructure plans for compliance with development conditions
- Represents the City and liaises with internal branches, outside agencies, Metro Vancouver, government agencies and utility companies regarding utility infrastructure projects
- Provides project management of developer provided capital projects including inspection and acceptance
- Prepare technical reports, presentations, letters and memos
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Water Resource or Environmental Engineering
- Minimum 3 years of experience post-graduation or equivalent combination of qualifications and work experience
- Registration or eligibility to register as an EIT or a Professional Engineer in British Columbia.
- Accredited project management training (e.g. PMP certification, tertiary qualification) would be an asset
- Experience using appropriate computer design and modelling software including PCSWMM (or other SWMM software), ArcGIS and AutoCAD
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven experience working in land development as a civil consultant
- Related experience working in municipal development and permitting processes
- A sound working knowledge and experience in the application of engineering principles related to hydraulics, hydrology, water systems, rainwater management and green infrastructure
- Demonstrated ability in utility design, construction and project management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a variety of stakeholders
- Ability to build and maintain excellent working relationships with the public, outside agencies and other employees
- Knowledge of the City’s development processes
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with multiple tasks of moderate complexity and setting/meeting competing deadlines
- Strong knowledge of EGBC’s Organizational Quality Management processes (or other OQM frameworks) would be an asset
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July 2019
Application Close: June 26, 2019
The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our internal careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Engineering
Posted: June 6, 2019, 1:44 pm
Expires: June 26, 2019, 11:59 pm