BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Sewers & Drainage Senior Design EngineerRequisition ID: 13633
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Sewers and Drainage Design branch includes engineers and technicians working in multi-disciplinary and multi-departmental teams responsible for the renewal, design, construction and management of the City’s integrated sewage and drainage network. Sewer system renewal, network management and system optimization support the City’s efforts to be a leader in clean water, excellent customer service and city resilience.
The Sewers and Drainage Senior Design Engineer position will provide leadership in planning and managing the sewer and drainage capital renewal design services constructed by city crews and contractors. This position is responsible for the design and construction planning of sewer capital projects, managing professional design service contracts and compliance with project management and quality management requirements through project initiation, design, construction and closeout. The role includes scope definition, resource planning, design milestone management, project coordination and project management in consultation with other city departments, 3rd party utilities (e.g. BC Hydro, Telus, Fortis BC, etc.) and other jurisdictions (e.g. Metro Vancouver, Port Metro).
This position reports to the Sewers & Drainage Branch Manager, and is accountable for supervising staff responsible for project scoping, detailed design, budgeting and inspection during construction. The position works closely with Sewer Operations, and various branches across Engineering and the other departments.
- Supervise a team of engineers and technicians responsible for capital project design submissions and project management documents
- Coordinate and liaise with staff in the Integrated Strategy and Utilities Planning Division during capital project planning and detailed design
- Liaise with Engineering branches (Water, Streets, 3rd party Utilities, Traffic Management, etc.) and other Departments (Parks, Landscaping, etc.) to efficiently and effectively deliver sewer renewal capital projects
- Review survey base plans, design memos, preliminary and final drawings and specifications for sewer renewal designs
- Responsible, as the Engineer of Record, for all capital design submissions generated by the team, including Direct Supervision requirements of subordinates
- Ensure all team members and design submissions adhere to the Engineering department’s Organizational Quality Management (OQM) and Project Management Framework (PMF) requirements
- Responsible for constructability planning during design submissions for cost effective construction implementation
- Responsible for the scoping, procurement and management of professional design service contracts for the replacement or rehabilitation of linear sewer assets
- Oversees progression and budgetary expenditures of capital projects
- Liaises with Metro Vancouver, Port Metro Vancouver, government agencies and utility companies for design and permit approval for capital projects
- Manage and coordinate flood prevention and response investigations, capital designs and remedial activities
- Prepares technical reports, presentations, letters and memos
- Communicates with the public, private contractors, consultants and staff across the city departments
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering
- A minimum of 8 years of sewer infrastructure design and construction, with 8 to 12 years of experience preferred
- Formal project management training is an asset
- Registration or eligibility to register as a Professional Engineer in British Columbia
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge and application of sewer design principles and modelling software related to sewer system hydraulic
- Strong understanding of the design and operation of municipal sewer systems including combined sewer infrastructure and separated sewer infrastructure
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with experience working with the public, private contractors, consultants and staff across all city departments
- Ability to work under pressure handling multiple tasks with frequent interruptions and changing priorities within tight time frames
- Demonstrated supervisory experience managing engineers and technicians including recruitment, selection, coaching, mentoring and performance management
- Demonstrated organizational and prioritization skills
- Strong knowledge or skill in using computer software such as AutoCAD, PCSWMM, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July 2019
Application Close: June 26, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Engineering,Sewer & Wastewater
Posted: June 6, 2019, 1:37 pm
Expires: June 26, 2019, 11:59 pm