BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Engineering Technician IIPosition Status: Full-Time Temporary (this position to last not later than December 31, 2019)
Department: Liquid Waste Services
Employee Group: Teamsters Local 31
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Our Liquid Waste Services Department is seeking an Engineering Technician II who will work within the Management Systems group to identify and verify assets at all water transmission and sewer collections facilities.
You are: An Engineering Technician who is enthusiastic, committed to technical excellence and willing to learn the details about the water services infrastructure that provides clean, safe drinking water to our residents as well as the liquid waste services infrastructure that collects and treats the region’s wastewater.
- Under direction, performs comprehensive studies of water and sewer utilities and drainage systems; recommends improvements for member municipalities and the District, involving feasibility, design, and cost estimates.
- Assembles and analyzes flow data on water distribution, sewer collection and drainage systems using computer software.
- Prepares operating and maintenance manuals and various reports for sewer and/or water systems and auxiliary equipment.
- Designs and supervises the construction of minor components for various water and sewer systems and/or including electrical and mechanical equipment.
- Tabulates tenders, prepares recommendations, specifications, and requisitions for materials and equipment; checks drawings, equipment and completed work for conformance to specifications and operation of the project.
- Updates “as constructed” drawings for completion by draftspersons.
- Measures and calculates the flow patterns of sewer and water facilities, processes applications from member municipalities for sewer and water connections, arranges quality control check of effluent.
- Answers verbal and written inquiries on water, sewer and drainage matters from municipalities, external parties, and District personnel and performs a variety of office duties including the filing and maintenance of contracts and specifications, drawings and charts, inspection reports and the catalogue library.
- Maintains contact with external parties, public utilities, member municipalities, government agencies, and District personnel.
- Performs other work of equal importance, difficulty and responsibility, requiring comparable qualifications.
To be successful, you have:
- Completion of a the 12th school grade supplemented by a two-year diploma course in Engineering Technology.Considerable related experience such as the design, construction and operation of sewer and water facilities and/or electrical and mechanical equipment OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Diploma in Engineering Technology – BCIT or Community College.
- Sound knowledge of engineering mathematics, hydraulics, standard engineering nomenclature, and of engineering and construction practices.
- Sound knowledge of inspection and quality control methods and procedures.
- Sound knowledge of the functions and operations of the sewer and water systems in the District and of departmental procedures regarding engineering projects.
- Working knowledge of computer software applications and capabilities as related to the work performed.
- Ability to read and interpret architectural and engineering drawings and specifications.
- Ability to make moderately complex office and field engineering computations, prepare reports and estimate costs of construction and equipment.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to arrange an effective work schedule, assign and check the work of draftspersons and perform a variety of clerical work related to District engineering functions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with external parties, public utilities, the public, member municipalities, government agencies, and District personnel.
- Skill in the use of surveying, drafting, and computing instruments.
- Superior mechanical and engineering aptitude.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by June 19, 2019.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Engineering
Posted: June 6, 2019, 9:04 am
Expires: June 19, 2019, 4:30 pm