BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Competition No. 2019-48
Community Services Division
Manager of Operations(Full Time)
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay, and the South End including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits, and is ideally situated on Southern Vancouver Island.
We are looking for an experienced and people-focused Manager of Operations to oversee the Municipality’s Public Works, Utilities, Treatment Plants and Community Services departments. Reporting to the General Manager of Community Services, this position manages our operational and capital budgets and programs to support the
Municipality’s infrastructure needs.
The ideal candidate will have considerable experience as an effective leader in a complex, unionized, public or private sector environment, managing construction and public infrastructure projects and maintenance. This is a prominent role within the Community Services Division and requires significant interpersonal and team-building skills to support exempt managers and unionized staff. The successful candidate will have a proven record of achieving positive health and safety outcomes, engaging staff, driving departmental performance, demonstrating responsiveness to the public and striving for continuous improvement in service delivery.
Core responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Planning departmental priorities and ensuring alignment with Council and organizational strategic priorities.
- Leading the planning, coordination, maintenance and implementation of all aspects of the Municipality’s infrastructure. This includes the Municipality’s water distribution, wastewater and storm water collection and treatment, street, road, sidewalk networks, and facilities and building maintenance.
- Delivering the department’s Occupational Health and Safety Plan in alignment with the Municipality’s health and safety program.
- Ensuring that operating and capital budgets for each departmental program are prepared and expenditures are monitored.
- Working cooperatively with the Engineering Department, assisting in the program selection and construction management of roads and drainage annual capital projects, maintenance projects and routine work.
- Preparing verbal and written reports, proposals and tenders; managing contracts and capital projects.
- Managing the Municipality’s snow and ice program.
- Managing the Municipal vehicle fleet program including mechanics, maintenance and purchasing.
- Managing solid waste collection (internal), organics collection (internal) and recycling collection (external contractor), including information collection, reporting and liaising with other parties.
- Overseeing maintenance of Municipal wharves and the wharf operation contracts.
- Facilitating the implementation of an asset management, priority-based program.
- Supporting the performance, development and retention of highly competent staff through effective recruitment and selection, training and day-to-day management practices, including managing staff performance and attendance as required.
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Abilities:
- Engineering Technologist Diploma or Professional Engineer, however, applicants with training in civil engineering, municipal management and utilities, supplemented by significant experience, will be considered.
- Minimum five years of progressively increasing responsibility with a minimum of three years in a senior management role ideally in a municipal operations or public works environment. Senior management experience leading in complex, unionized, public or private sector environments managing construction and public infrastructure projects and maintenance will be considered, but municipal experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to coach, team-build and supervise exempt and union staff, and manage for continuous improvement.
- Considerable experience effectively managing performance and attendance in a unionized environment.
- Knowledge of road rehabilitation, maintenance and drainage systems including: theory, principles, practices and techniques of public works, utilities, treatment plants and community services functions.
- Strong understanding of the requirements of Occupational Health and Safety rules and regulations under WorkSafeBC legislation.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
- The position may be physically demanding; candidate must be able to successfully perform all duties associated with the position. A medical certificate attesting to suitability for this position may be required.
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package is offered. This position is excluded from union membership.
Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position. Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
Application Deadline: 4:30 p.m. June 26, 2019