BC Local Government Job Posting Service
City of Surrey
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor – Fall 2019
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation.
City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey
The City of Surrey’s Recreation Division aims to build healthy communities where all people are active and engaged for life. As part of that commitment, we’re looking for Lifeguards / Swim Instructors to help ensure the community can enjoy our facilities in a safe and comfortable environment.
Click here to see what our lifeguards say about their rewarding career
This position encompasses both Lifeguarding and Swim Instructing. Our Lifeguards/Swim Instructors supervise the safety of swimmers in our facilities and provide exceptional customer service, high-quality learn-to-swim instruction and fun and interactive public swim programming. We are looking for responsible individuals who lead by example and:
- Are safety and customer focused.
- Value diversity and inclusion.
- Thrive in a team environment.
- Are motivated and adaptable.
- Are committed to continuous learning.
- Demonstrate initiative and integrity.
Auxiliary – Union CUPE 402
- Develop and Teach high-quality swim lesson programs for all ages.
- Maintain accurate, up to date progress sheets and records for participants as well as completing evaluations.
- Performs lifeguarding functions, according to Provincial and Surrey's guidelines.
- Observe patrons in pool, enforce safety regulations, maintain order in the swimming and desk areas.
- Provide First Aid treatment.
- Engage with a diverse client base to provide exceptional service.
- Provide a clean and safe swimming environment.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our City Values.
- You may be required to perform water tests to ensure adequate water quality and will occasionally work with Chlorine and other chemicals related to pool operations.
- Completion of Grade 12 or currently enrolled in High School.
- Formal Lifeguard and Swim Instructor training.
- Current Certificates in the following:
- Water Safety Instructor
- National Lifeguard Service - Pool Option
- Standard First Aid with CPR C and AED
- Available evenings and Full Weekend availability.
- Candidates must successfully complete a rigorous screening process, including:
- Physical standards
- First aid diagnostic and treatment
- Lifeguard standards
- Water safety instructing skill
Certificates MUST be VALID at the time of application. Certificates (WSI, NL, SFA with CPR C and AED) MUST be uploaded at the time of application.
Conditions of Employment
This position requires completion of a Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector.
If you are interested in this opportunity please apply at Surrey.ca/careers to Job ID 2973. Posting will remain posted until June 21, 2019