BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Utility Systems Operator III, Liquid Waste (2 positions)Position Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Liquid Waste Services
Employee Group: GVRDEU
Location: Still Creek Works Yard, Burnaby
Our Liquid Waste Services Department is seeking a Utility Systems Operator III who will help maintain and operate sewer and drainage operations infrastructure.
You are: Certified with BC EOCP Level III Wastewater Collections with 4 years or more experience in wastewater system operations and maintenance.
- Operates, monitors and maintains the collection and drainage system facilities including pump stations, dam(s), sanitary/storm sewers, culverts, watercourses, control chambers, manholes, grit chambers, flow meters, flow control devices, debris catchers/grills, emergency generators, and odour control equipment.
- Carries out inspections to ensure efficient operation and safety of facilities, maintenance of access roads and to prevent encroachments onto easements.
- Inspects, troubleshoots and rectifies operational problems. Provides suggestions for system improvements.
- Carries out preventive and corrective maintenance tasks following established policies and procedures.
- Repairs facilities and maintains equipment such as pumps, motors, valves, instruments, etc.
- Performs system inspections, sanitary/storm sewer cleaning, alterations, lubrications, etc.
- Performs general repairs, housekeeping, painting, etc.
- Performs maintenance tasks including but not limited to: sanitary/storm sewer inspection, debris catcher/grill cleaning, valve maintenance, brush cutting/vegetation management, gravel, debris and windfall removal, slope, and bank stability enhancements, and beaver dam removal.
- Operates power tools, mowers, chain saws, jackhammers, vehicles and equipment to fulfill the needs of the position.
- Performs construction duties such as sanitary/storm sewer repairs, the raising and rebuilding of manholes and chambers, sanitary/storm sewer connections, road building and water course rehabilitation works.
- Ensures all work carried out adheres to and is in compliance with all applicable policies/procedures, including all WorkSafe and MV safety policies/procedures. Advises superiors of situations requiring review.
- Maintains operating records, submits work progress, time reporting, operations and investigative reports as required.
- Assists in the preparation of work schedules, estimates and project work as directed.
- Review and complete EAM work orders.
- Provides direction and control of other staff as required, to ensure the work is carried out in a safe efficient manner.
- Trains and supervises subordinates in standard operations and maintenance practices and procedures.
- May be called upon to perform any or all of the duties of the USO I or USO II.
To be successful, you have:
- Grade 12 education or equivalent (Supplemented by courses in supervision, civil and mechanical technology, computers, electrical, instrumentation, etc.).
- Four (4) years or more experience in wastewater or drainage system operations and maintenance; demonstrated knowledge of in-stream works, erosion/sediment control, bank stabilization.
- BC EOCP Level III Wastewater Collections or equivalent Provincial Certification. The highest EOCP Wastewater Collections Certificate shall be maintained in good standing.
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings.
- Considerable knowledge of: process and mechanical equipment; control systems; electrical and instrumentation equipment; sanitary/storm sewer repair and cleaning, and video inspection.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively direct and supervise work of others.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with people expected to be associated with the work.
- Sound knowledge of the occupational hazards, WorkSafe BC regulations, policies and procedures related to the construction and maintenance of MV’s wastewater collection and drainage systems.
- Ability to use computer applications related to the position and duties.
- Physically capable of performing the duties of the position and willingness and ability to work shift work and/or stand-by/on call basis as required.
- Willingness and ability to undertake additional training related to the duties of the position.
- Demonstrated initiative and proven ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by June 18, 2019.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Sewer & Wastewater
Posted: June 4, 2019, 12:54 pm
Expires: June 18, 2019, 4:30 pm