BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Public Services Librarian (Librarian l)
NO. OF POSITIONS:
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
*35 hours per week (see below)
$63,918 - $75,369 annually plus benefits
The New Westminster Public Library is in search of a qualified Librarian l to work in public services.
Public service work involves working with customers and our community in a variety of ways, including but not limited to working at public desks, developing and implementing adult programs, participating in community events, working with partners and local organizations, and contributing to the Library’s communication strategies. Successful applicants will also have collection responsibilities and other duties arising from the strategic plan or community engagement. If you are passionate about public libraries and excited by the role libraries can play in their community, we want to hear from you.
The ideal candidate possesses self-direction and the ability to work under pressure and within tight timeframes.
- MLS or MLIS from an ALA accredited university
- Minimum one year experience working in public libraries at a professional level
- Strong customer service skills
- Sophisticated technology skills and familiarity with PC, Mac, and mobile platforms and applications
- Effective organizational and communication skills;
- Awareness of library trends in public services
- Ability to manage a diverse set of responsibilities, demonstrated independence of judgment, and creative problem-solving skills.
- Experience supervising staff
- Proficiency with Horizon, or another ILS, BiblioCommons, library databases, and eBooks
- Demonstrated ability collaborating with and leading committees, teams, or work groups is desirable
*This position works one evening a week until 9pm, and one weekend day approximately every 3 weeks. This position is also part of the Library’s Compressed Day Off program, and the successful candidate will work an extra 30 minutes per day and receive a day off approximately 11 times a year.
Apply by sending your resume and cover letter to the New Westminster Public Library, quoting competition #19 - 78, by 4:00 p.m., Tuesday June 25th, 2019 via email as a single PDF to email@example.com.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.