BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Competition No. 2019-47
Development and Engineering Services Division
Building and Plumbing Inspector(Full Time)
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay, and the South End including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits, and is ideally situated on Southern Vancouver Island.
The Municipality of North Cowichan invites applications from candidates with the proven skills, qualifications and abilities for the position of Building and Plumbing Inspector.
The successful candidate will undertake all duties associated with building and plumbing inspections for urban, semi-urban, and rural residential and commercial developments during the various stages of construction, alteration and/or repair. The inspection services will ensure compliance with all regulatory codes, guidelines, and bylaws. Deployment to other duties may be required from time to time. The Building Inspector may also be required to perform some Bylaw Compliance duties.
Required Skills, Qualifications and Abilities:
- Completion of Grade 12.
- Level 1 to 3 Certification with the Building Officials’ Association of B.C. Candidates without Level 3 certification may be considered on condition that certification is obtained within 4 years from the date of hire.
- 3 years’ experience in a local government building department performing building/plumbing inspections.
- Preference will be given to those candidates who have an Interprovincial Ticket in Carpentry and/or a Diploma of Building Technology from a recognized educational institution.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, collaborator and problem-solver who makes sound recommendations consistent with legislative requirements while using tact and diplomacy.
- Superior knowledge of the BC Building Code including Part 7 (plumbing code).
- Knowledge of accepted building and plumbing practices and processes including zoning, subdivisions and issuance of permits.
- Keyboarding skills and the ability to work within a Windows environment.
- Knowledge of computer based information systems for building records, bylaw enforcement and business licensing and familiarity with Tempest would be considered an asset.
- Independence of judgment and capability of working with minimal supervision.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
- The position may be physically demanding; candidate must be able to successfully perform all duties associated with the position. A medical certificate attesting to suitability for this position may be required.
This is a unionized position (CUPE Local 358) and the collective agreement may be viewed on our website.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a criminal record check.
Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position.
Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
Application Deadline: 4:30 p.m. June 17, 2019
Location: Duncan, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Building Technology/Inspection,Plumbing/Pipefitting/Gas/Steam
Posted: June 4, 2019, 8:55 am
Expires: June 17, 2019, 4:30 pm