BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Manager Community Recreation & Culture Services
Parks, Recreation and Culture Services Department
Regular Full Time (Exempt)
The City of Coquitlam is the sixth largest city in BC, home to more than 150,000 residents. Our municipality continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and state-of-the-art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.
Reporting to the General Manager Parks, Recreation and Culture, the Manager Community Recreation and Culture Services is responsible for providing overall leadership to the Community Recreation and Culture Services division. This role leads the operation of our recreation and community facilities, programs and services to meet the community’s recreation and leisure needs. Reporting to this position are four managers including three Community Recreation Managers and one Cultural Services Manager.
The successful incumbent will get to join a fun and rewarding work environment. We hope they bring strong financial acumen with proven experience in preparing and managing multimillion dollar operational budgets, excellent communication skills as well as skills in making presentations and report writing at a Board or Executive level. This position plays a significant role in overseeing and managing a large workforce of creative and dedicated unionized and exempt employees.
The successful incumbent will have a Master’s or Undergraduate degree in Recreation Administration, Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field. Education should be supplemented with 7 or more years in senior management. This position requires the successful incumbent to have a thorough knowledge of legislation, regulations, policies and procedures that impact municipal recreation and culture services.
Other Requirements include:
- A leader in community recreation and culture with a thorough understanding of its role in a vibrant and growing urban municipality.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to serve as a focal point between multiple parties at the Council and executive level; and to provide strategic advice, counsel and guidance on critical issues that have community impacts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to negotiate, influence, and liaise effectively with contractors, consultants, community groups, members of the public and external agencies.
- Advanced research, analytical and problem solving skills, with an ability to interpret emerging issues, and lead strategic planning initiatives as an integral part of a dynamic senior management team.
- Strong financial management skills with the ability to manage operational budgets and expenditures for the division.
- An understanding of the strategic direction of the City.
- Excellent leadership skills including management experience in overseeing recruitment, performance management and labour relations matters
The City offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. Applicants under consideration will be required to undergo a police security clearance evaluation.
Please apply online at www.coquitlam.ca/jobs with a cover letter and résumé by 5:00 pm by June 19, 2019.
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.