BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Tree Pruner IRequisition ID: 13646
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Tree Pruner I is responsible for assisting in all aspects of tree care operations including: tree planting, pruning and removal. This position involves climbing trees, using ladders, and as required, ropes and safety harness, and pruning boulevard and park trees using power saws and other hand tools. This is hazardous work that is performed under the direction of a supervisor who checks the work during progress for attainment of desired objectives and adherence to required safety procedures.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Tree Pruner I is required to climb park and boulevard trees using safe tree climbing techniques, ladders, ropes, safety harness and prunes park and boulevard trees using power saws and other hand tools. This position assists in tree planting and removal operations, cable and bracing techniques and performs heavy manual tasks related to the work. The Tree Pruner I will operate a chipping machine as required. This position performs minor servicing and maintenance tasks on equipment operated. The Tree Pruner I will also assist in setting out safety cones, warning signs and traffic control barriers under the direction of a superior.
Candidates selected for an interview will be required to undergo a practical skills exam as part of our recruitment process.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 10
- Current and Valid Class 5 Drivers License is preferred
- Utility Arborist – Certified Utility Arborist or Arborist Technician designation is desired
- Power System Safety Protection (PSSP) is preferred
- ISA Certification and ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualification (TRAQ) is preferred
- Level I First Aid Certificate is desired
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, practices, tools, equipment and safety precautions involved in pruning, removals, and planting boulevard and park trees.
- Ability to perform hazardous climbing and pruning tasks at considerable heights above ground.
- Ability to perform manual tasks under varying weather conditions.
- Skill in the use of a variety of power and hand tools used in tree pruning and planting work.
- Skill in the use of safety harness and ropes used in climbing trees.
- Skill in the operation of a chipping machine
- Skill in the operation and servicing of equipment used in the work and in the use of tools used in minor servicing and repair tasks.
A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License is preferred. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet operational requirements of the Department.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: June 2019
Position End Date: October 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-325: $30.01 per hour
Application Close: May 26, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Forestry/Arboriculture
Posted: May 17, 2019, 1:30 pm
Expires: May 26, 2019, 11:59 pm