BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Fitness Centre WorkerRequisition ID: 13623
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation is accepting applications from qualified individuals to be added to the eligibility list for Fitness Centre Workers to join our auxiliary team. This role will provide qualified candidates an opportunity to work in and across a diverse portfolio of facilities and spaces in the City, including several 2010 Olympic venues.Qualified candidates will be assessed on the basis of their skills, knowledge and abilities, and may be selected to participate in a mandatory practical assessment should they meet qualifications and requirements of the position and a vacant opportunity exists. The Fitness Centre Worker is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the Park Board fitness centres. This position assists and guides patrons in the use of exercise equipment, ensures the safety and control of the fitness area and patrons, provides fitness assessments, and develops individual weight training and fitness programs.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be responsible for instructing patrons on equipment and enforcing rules of conduct and fitness centre policies. The Fitness Centre Worker will also demonstrate exercises and the proper use of equipment to individuals and groups. The Fitness Centre Worker is also responsible for cleaning and maintaining the fitness centre and its equipment, making minor adjustments and repairs as needed. The Fitness Centre Worker will treat minor injuries, and make necessary arrangements for the treatment of more serious accidents and provide accident reports to a superior as required. All applicants must also attach their First Aid and any other relevant certifications to their application. Please note that all shortlisted candidates will be required to attend a mandatory Practical Assessment on Saturday June 15 2019, from 5:30-7:30 PM.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 10
- Completion of a physical education course through a recognized educational institution is preferred.
- Considerable experience in the use of Fitness Centre equipment and some experience interacting with the public is desirable.
- Current First Aid Certificate is required
- Current Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate is required.
- BC Recreation & Parks Association Registered Weight Training Instructor or equivalent required, Personal Trainer preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the methods used in proper exercise programs and the use of exercise equipment.
- Knowledge of the theory of movement, body mechanics and the prevention and management of sports injuries.
- Demonstrated ability to instruct individual and small group exercises.
- Demonstrated ability to instruct a complete exercise package and to develop tailored weight training and fitness programs.
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the public and maintain control and exercise discipline with tact and consistency.
- Ability to answer general and specific questions related to physical fitness and exercise.
- Ability to orient patrons in the use of fitness centre facilities and equipment.
- Ability to assume responsibility for the overall operation and security of the fitness centre in the absence of full time staff.
- Ability to maintain general records of fitness centre usage.
- Ability to work independently and exercise independent judgment to deal with emergencies.
- Ability to perform artificial respiration or cardiopulmonary resuscitation as appropriate in case of emergency and provide other first aid treatment as needed.
A Police Record Check is a requirement of the position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Parks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: June 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-013a: $23.76 to $27.92 per hour
Application Close: May 24, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Parks & Recreation
Posted: May 16, 2019, 11:56 am
Expires: May 24, 2019, 11:59 pm