BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Competition No. 2019-37
Community Services Division
$31.66/hr (CUPE Local 358)
Parks Employee 2(Full Time)
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay, and the South End including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits, and is ideally situated on Southern Vancouver Island.
The Municipality of North Cowichan invites applications from candidates with the proven skills, qualifications and abilities for the position of Parks Employee 2. The successful candidate will be responsible for the safe and efficient maintenance of all Municipal parks, sports fields, outdoor recreation facilities, associated buildings and structures.
This is a great opportunity for someone who good knowledge and understanding of turf management maintenance procedures and the ability to operate and maintain grounds maintenance equipment and related tractors and implements. Operation of sanders and plows will also be required. The schedule will include shift, nights and weekend work. Deployment to other duties may be required from time to time.
Required Skills, Qualifications and Abilities:
- Completion of Grade 12.
- Turf grass management program of minimum 120 hours from a recognized turf management program; and at least one of the following:
- Irrigation Industry Association of British Columbia's (IIABC) Level 2 Certified Irrigation Technician (CIT) Program;
- Canadian Certified Playground Inspector Certification Program Theory Course (Certification Part 1 of 2) and Practical Course (Certification Part 2 of 2).
- Two year’s directly related experience in sports field and/or golf course turf grass maintenance or equivalent combination of education, training, experience and demonstrable abilities.
- Demonstrable ability to diagnose and undertake repairs to irrigation systems and/or playground equipment, and parks maintenance machinery.
- Strong ability to identify and perform self-directed facility repairs, including plumbing, carpentry, painting, fencing, concrete work, pool maintenance and to operate power tools.
- Basic proficiency on computers to operate SCADA and irrigation systems.
- Relevant skills and experience in records management and ability to organize, coordinate and maintain cemetery plots.
- Possession (or acquisition within 30 days) and maintenance of a valid Class 3 B.C. Driver's License with air endorsement; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
- The position may be physically demanding; candidate must be able to successfully perform all duties associated with the position. A medical certificate attesting to suitability for this position may be required.
This is a unionized position (CUPE Local 358) and the collective agreement may be viewed on our website.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a criminal record check.
To Apply: Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position. Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
Application Deadline: 4:30 p.m. May 24, 2019
Location: Duncan, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Horticulture/Landscaping/Greenskeeping
Posted: May 13, 2019, 2:22 pm
Expires: May 24, 2019, 4:30 pm