BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Manager, Affordable HousingRequisition ID: 13349
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Manager is responsible for overseeing a team of staff that supports permitting services for Affordable Housing. This includes assigning work, hiring, termination, evaluation, discipline, support, coaching, professional development and representing the employer in the grievance process. As well, the Manager ensures program continuity, continuous process improvement and flexibility to meet emerging needs and is expected to exercise considerable independence of judgment and initiative in providing services and expertise to other divisions and developing policy and long range plans.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides leadership and management to the Affordable Housing team including hiring and termination, discipline, performance and attendance management, coaching, training and development; inspires, motivates, guides and directs staff.
- Provides coaching on a timely basis; develops goals and expectations, identifies training and development for subordinate staff.
- Meets with employees to resolve disputes and administers appropriate collective agreements, participates in grievance meetings and, in consultation with superiors, has the authority to resolve grievances at that the informal stage of the grievance procedure.
- Sets performance goals and coaches employees to achieve desired results.
- Recommends, develops and implements relevant policies and procedures and ensures staff compliance.
- Leads change initiatives with Development Services staff, interdepartmentally, and with external stakeholders, that lead to continuous improvement in service delivery.
- Lead the review of development regulations related to housing that seeks opportunities to streamline and expedite approval processes for all forms of affordable housing.
- Manages and facilitates contentious and high profile affordable housing projects.
- Liaises with Directors, General Managers, the City Manager’s Office and the media on these projects.
- Coordinates detailed affordable housing project reviews by establishing inter-departmental project teams; chairs meetings to conduct coordinated reviews.
- Establishes and oversees a schedule for project processing and issuance of permits and approvals with a focus on an expedited approval model
- Organizes and coordinates public consultation; assesses community reaction to proposals; handles inquiries from the public and other departments
- Prepares reports to City Council, the Development Permit Staff Committee, and the Development Permit Board
- Performs other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a university degree in Planning, Engineering, Architecture or a related field and considerable related experience in planning and development, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable number of years of experience directly related to project management and conflict resolution, preferably in a government setting
- Minimum eight years’ of progressively greater experience at the professional and leadership level.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to simultaneously manage and review a number of projects.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A high level of personal and professional excellence, including the ability to align personal and organizational values.
- Ability to create a vision with clear expectations for staff and to provide the leadership necessary to achieve the desired results.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to formulate and articulate ideas and opinions and to effectively communicate with the media and a variety of senior managers required.
- Ability to build relationships with multiple stakeholders, both private and public..
- Ability to gain cooperation and support from individuals with divergent expectations and objectives and to negotiate changes and resolve conflicts in an inclusive positive manner.
- Ability to prioritize, plan work programs and projects, assign work, and manage a diverse workgroup and/or contractors engaged in a variety of activities involving tight deadlines.
- Ability to manage organizational changes to ensure effective and efficient use of resources.
- Proven ability to be innovative, flexible and entrepreneurial.
- Demonstrated ability to manage large public meetings involving a high level of political sensitivity and awareness.
- Ability to prepare complex reports and make presentations to official bodies and community groups.
Business Unit/Department: Development Services, Building & Licensing (1250)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2019
Application Close: May 25, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.