BC Local Government Job Posting Service
(12-month Temporary Full-Time)
Stretching from Deep Cove in the east to the Capilano River Canyon in the west, the District of North Vancouver is characterized by innovative municipal government that maintains and enhances the quality of life for its residents and businesses. Fuelled by the District’s award-winning vision to build vibrant and sustainable communities for people of all ages and backgrounds, the District offers exciting professional development opportunities and an excellent total compensation package. A flexible, family-friendly employer with an inclusive work place culture, we are looking to fill this position. Come work for one of BC’s Top Employers and contribute to making this a great place to work!
The Parks Department has an immediate temporary full-time 12 month opportunity for a Tree Worker. This position entails skilled manual work with the pruning and removal of a variety of mature coniferous and deciduous trees. The work is performed according to well-developed safe work procedures, considerable care must be exercised to ensure the safety of all workers and the public. The incumbent will climb, trim and prune a variety of coniferous and deciduous trees using ropes, safety harness, power saws and other hand tools. The position requires the individual to remove trees using appropriate rigging, winching and cutting techniques; cuts and removes stumps and performs heavy manual duties related to the work. The individual will also plant, stake, fertilize and mulch trees as well as report indications of hazardous trees, tree pests and diseases to a superior and as directed, applies herbicides and pesticides. This position also requires the incumbent to operate a truck and chipper to transport materials to and from the work site.
The successful applicant will possess:
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, practices, tools and equipment used in the pruning, trimming and removal of deciduous and coniferous trees;
- Considerable knowledge of the equipment, methods, procedures and safety precautions involved in the work;
- Ability to perform climbing and pruning tasks at considerable heights above the ground;
- Ability to provide work direction to others, receive direction and work effectively in a team environment;
- Ability to exercise proper safety precautions in the performance of work;
- Skill in the use of a variety of hand and power tools used in tree pruning and removal work;
- Skill in the use of safety harness and ropes used in climbing and rigging trees;
- Skill in the operation of a chipping machine;
- Trained in the techniques and must be able to perform aerial rescue in emergency situations;
- Good communication skills when dealing with the public on sensitive matters.
Completion of the 10th school grade supplemented by courses related to the work and considerable related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. OFA Level 1, chainsaw certification, ISA certification and certified tree worker would be considered an asset and a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License is required.
The hourly pay range for this unionized position is $33.26 per hour (2019 rate) based on a 40 hour work week. If you have what we’re looking for and enjoy working in a fast paced environment with a group of enthusiastic and dedicated people, we want to hear from you. Please apply on-line with your cover letter and resume at www.dnv.org/careers by May 24, 2019 to be considered for this competition.
We wish to thank you for your interest in employment with the District of North Vancouver and advise that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Forestry/Arboriculture
Posted: May 10, 2019, 9:54 am
Expires: May 24, 2019, 4:30 pm