BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Civil Engineer I - Technical ReviewerRequisition ID: 12827
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
We are currently hiring 2 Civil Engineer Is in the Sewers Design Branch. These positions will provide technical review services for a number of different sewer system renewal programs linked to redevelopment and growth planning in the city. The Civil Engineer I is responsible for the coordination of sewer system upgrade packages, the review of engineering consultants design submissions and aides in the Engineering departments management of growth related utility projects linked the city’s rezoning process and the Utility Development Cost Levy bylaw capital program.
This position reports to Senior Engineers in the Sewers Design Branch.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical administration support for the rezoning and Utility Development Cost Levy bylaw capital program
- Develop, implement, and document external design review processes, procedures, and work instructions
- Develop, implement, and document consultant guidelines and submission requirements
- Review and comment on designs, specifications, and tender documents for storm and sanitary sewer design projects for compliance with City sewer standards
- Review and comment on field reviews and other project documentation for storm and sanitary sewer construction projects for general conformance with accepted consultant design
- Respond to correspondence or inquiries from outside agencies, the public and other branches regarding sewer system operation
- Represents the City and liaises with internal branches, outside agencies, Metro Vancouver, government agencies and utility companies regarding sewer infrastructure projects
- Performs field reviews on sewer assets constructed by contractors to ensure general conformance with accepted design, sewer standards, and specifications
- Completes post construction evaluation of installed sewer infrastructure
- Supports development application reviews for sewer infrastructure design requirements
- Reviews quality assurance inspection reports of sewer infrastructure
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- A minimum of 4 years of related municipal civil infrastructure design, construction and project management experience
- Registration or eligibility for registration as an EIT or Professional Engineer in British Columbia
- Experience in detailed design and review of storm and sanitary sewers design submissions
- Experience in developing and modifying processes, procedures, and work instructions to streamline internal and external processes
- Accredited project management training would be an asset
- Knowledge of engineering related to hydraulics, hydrology and rainwater management
- Experience using appropriate computer design and modelling software
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a variety of stakeholders
- Ability to build and maintain excellent working relationships with the public, outside agencies and other employees
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with multiple tasks of moderate complexity and setting/meeting competing deadlines
- Working knowledge of EGBC’s Organizational Quality Management processes (or other OQM frameworks)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: June 2019
Number of Positions: 2
Application Close: May 24, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Engineering
Posted: May 6, 2019, 12:33 pm
Expires: May 24, 2019, 11:59 pm