BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Position: IT Helpdesk Technician (Temporary, Full-Time)Closing Date: April 22, 2019
At the City of Kamloops, we are focused on creating the highest levels of service excellence, based on an organization-wide community culture that celebrates the employees who make it all happen. We offer many advantages including ongoing training and professional development opportunities, coupled with exceptional benefits, all in the beautiful natural setting of the BC Interior.
Kamloops is Canada’s Tournament Capital, a family and business-friendly community committed to providing great customer service, enhancing community partnerships, and supporting economic growth. Our 700 employees provide customer services and programs to a local and regional population of 125,000 people. Kamloops provides abundant recreational possibilities for residents and visitors alike, as well as education and culture opportunities and activities.
IT Helpdesk Technician (Temporary, Full-Time)
Days of Work
Monday to Friday
Hours of Work
7:00 am - 3:00 pm 8:30 am - 4:30 pm 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
This is a temporary position from April 2019 until approximately August 2019.
Performs skilled technical data and voice services work of a complex nature under the limited supervision of the Crew Leader - IT Helpdesk Technician. Work involves recording customer calls and remotely troubleshooting user issues. The incumbent is also responsible for all documentation of processes, inventory, and helpdesk reporting. Errors are difficult to identify and could cause loss of service and/or delays in operations. The incumbent will install, maintain, and support all computer equipment and software and voice equipment and software. The incumbent will also monitor and check system servers and backups daily. The incumbent may be required to provide training and hands-on assistance to support users and create training documentation for technical administration and training for users. The job involves frequent pressures of volume of work, good working conditions, and occasional exposure to noise and dirt. Contacts are frequently of a more specialized, non-routine nature requiring excellent communication, organizational, technical, and analytical skills. There is a very slight possibility of injury or harm to others. The incumbent is responsible for exercising courtesy and diplomacy when dealing with others.
- Answers and records client telephone, email, and face-to-face requests for service.
- Investigates, analyzes, and resolves a variety of problems pertinent to personal computers, personal computer peripheral equipment, and voice hardware, as well as the City’s software applications.
- Ensures the installation, maintenance, and upgrading of computer and voice equipment and establishes configurations of equipment by identifying the user’s requirements.
- Keeps informed of new developments in microcomputer and voice hardware, communications, and software. Evaluates the performance of microcomputer and voice hardware and recommends improvements.
- Maintains the hardware and software inventory and ensures the inventory information is accurate and up-to-date. Ensures the network diagrams for equipment are kept up to date.
- Prepares specifications for new computers, peripheral hardware, and communication equipment, and evaluates supplier’s proposals.
- Supports the Network and Network Support Technicians, and Systems Programmer for the City when required. Will also assist RCMP Shared Services when required.
- Creates images of computer systems and performs backups of complicated systems. Checks the server backups daily.
- Develops, implements, and updates policy and procedural standards for microcomputer operations including safety, education, menus, command files, and use of microcomputer software.
- Updates personal knowledge with available training material.
- Collects statistics on requests for reporting and analysis.
- Performs evaluations of proposed microcomputer software as directed by the IT Helpdesk Technician Crew Leader.
- Performs related duties as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND KNOWLEDGE
- Thorough knowledge of the microcomputer field including experience with LANs.
- Considerable knowledge of the methods used in training users in the use of hardware and software applications.
- Considerable knowledge of Microsoft Office, GroupWise, Novell Networking, and Microsoft Networking.
- Ability to investigate, analyze, and solve a variety of problems related to microcomputer hardware and software.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Ability to deal tactfully and diplomatically with members of staff and consultants.
PREFERRED TRAINING, EXPERIENCE, MEMBERSHIPS, ETC.
- Canadian Information Processing Society Information Systems Professional or Information Technology Certified Professional Designation.
- Network+ Certification.
- MCSE Certification.
- Novell Certification.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, EDUCATION, MEMBERSHIPS, ETC.
- Completion of senior secondary school or its equivalent.
- Diploma from a recognized institute of technology in information systems.
- A+ Certification.
- Minimum typing speed of 45 net words per minute. Testing may be required.
- Valid BC Driver’s licence - Class 5.
- Minimum two years’ previous experience in personal computer/support services within the last four years.
- Must be able to obtain RCMP enhanced security clearance.
For new hires, and for those working in designated positions of trust, including those working directly with vulnerable persons, no formal offer of employment will be made until an applicant completes and passes a criminal record check.
Crew Leader - IT Helpdesk Technician
British Columbia [BC]
Compensation & Benefits Overview
Comprehensive benefits package available.
Please note that persons with disabilities who require assistance with the application process may contact the Human Resources Department at (250) 828-3439.
To apply for this position, please visit our website at https://www.kamloops.ca/city-hall/career opportunities.
Location: Kamloops, BC
Region: Thompson / Shuswap / Columbia
Professional Categories: Information Technology
Posted: April 16, 2019, 11:06 am
Expires: April 22, 2019, 4:30 pm