BC Local Government Job Posting Service
HOURS OF WORK:
35 Hours per Week
To be determined
4:00 p.m., April 26, 2019
Encompassing an unparalleled geographic region in the heart of British Columbia, the Thompson-Nicola Regional District (TNRD) offers the best of both worlds. Urban life within vibrant communities and outlying rural regions that showcase the region's beauty - pristine but rugged mountains, rolling grasslands, lush evergreen forests and both historic and modern areas, all within approximately 45,000 square kilometres. Headquartered in the City of Kamloops, the TNRD provides a wide range of local government services to a population of 130,000 located within its 11 diverse municipalities and 10 electoral areas.
Reporting to the Finance Supervisor, the Payroll Administrator performs complex payroll processing in a computerized function. The incumbent is responsible for receiving, reviewing and processing various employee documentation for payroll-related transactions and ensuring the accurate and timely delivery of multiple payrolls for different groups on a weekly basis. This position works closely with Human Resources and maintains a high level of trust. Other duties include acting as the HRIS/Payroll system administrator, including performing system testing, solving complex payroll processing problems and transactions and documenting procedures.
Primary Duties of the Role include:
- Preparing and processing multiple payrolls for different groups on a weekly basis
- Preparing electronic fund transfers and other financial arrangements
- Processing expense claims and compensation for elected officials
- Maintaining records, inputting information into computer system, generating payroll transactions and reports, validating, balancing, editing and correcting entries
- Maintaining and processing employee information records for complex transactions
- Performing manual calculations of pay and deductions as necessary
- Auditing and analyzing of payroll procedures and systems
- Utilize exceptional technical skills in enhancing and troubleshooting technical issues on the integrated Payroll, HRIS and time and attendance system (currently utilizing Stargarden)
- Assisting with preparation and documentation of user specifications for system changes and enhancements
- Assisting in creating test scenarios, conducting user tests of configuration changes and enhancements: validating test data, documenting and evaluating test results
- Administering benefit plans in conjunction with the Human Resources Department
- Year-end preparation of employee T4s
- Ensuring compliance with relevant collective agreements, government legislation, bylaws, and corporate policies and practices
- Other duties as required
You are an experienced professional with:
Required Education and Experience
- Completion of a recognized Accounting Diploma, plus completion of the Payroll Compliance Practitioner certification and a minimum of 3 years’ experience in payroll
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Experience processing unionized payroll is an asset
- Experience with sophisticated HRIS/Payroll System
- Familiarity with Stargarden Software would be an asset
Required Skills and Abilities
- Proven ability to analyze and develop systems and procedures
- Excellent decision making skills and the ability to identify, analyze and solve problems
- Working knowledge and ability to apply existing payroll legislation
- Ability to understand and apply regulations, agreements and procedures concerning payroll and benefit matters
- Proficient using computers/devices and ability to learn new systems/technology
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Office programs, specifically with Excel
- Aptitude for details and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks with sensitivity for deadlines
- Ability to make calculations with speed and accuracy and to adhere to rigid time schedules
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, specifically a demonstrated ability to proactively develop mutually beneficial working relationships
- Ability to be innovative and to take initiative
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision and to work well in a team environment
- Ability to deal with confidential information with a high degree of tact and diplomacy
This position falls under the provisions of the Collective Agreement with the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 900. The placement of the Payroll Administrator is at Pay Grade 6, which is $1,979.13 to $2,270.15 biweekly.
Please email your application to email@example.com by 4:00 p.m. on April 26, 2019 quoting Competition # 2019-021.
Applications must include a cover letter and a resume outlining your qualifications and experience.
While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Thank you for considering the Thompson-Nicola Regional District as a place to share your talents!
THE REGION OF BC’s BEST
Working together, we provide exceptional public service in a supportive, flexible environment
Location: Kamloops, BC
Region: Thompson / Shuswap / Columbia
Professional Categories: Financial Administration,Human Resources,Office Administration
Posted: April 12, 2019, 2:56 pm
Expires: April 26, 2019, 4:30 pm