BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Permanent Full-Time / Internal/External
Building and Bylaw Services
Competition No.: 2019-042
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Regional District of Nanaimo is seeking a permanent full-time Building Inspector within the Building and Bylaw Services section of its Strategic and Community Development Department.
Reporting to the Manager of Building and Bylaw Services, under the direction of the Building Inspection Supervisor, the successful candidate will be responsible for reviewing and preparing plan checks, issuing permits, and inspecting buildings at various stages of construction to ensure compliance with applicable bylaws and statutes. These building inspections include buildings in personal, business and commercial categories. Duties also include responding to public inquiries and initiating enforcement action on non-compliant structures.
Applicants must possess a Diploma in Building or Civil Technology, certification from the Building Officials Association of BC – minimum Level I (Level II or III preferred), plus a minimum of five (5) years prior jobrelated experience in a local government setting. A thorough knowledge of the BC Building and Plumbing Codes as they relate to residential and commercial buildings and an ability to review and evaluate building plans is also required. A trade’s qualification in carpentry or plumbing is preferred, and the incumbent must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills. A valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License is required.
This is a permanent full-time (35 Hours per week) Union Position. The (2019) rate of pay is $38.38 to $40.40. The position offers an attractive benefits package as provided within the collective agreement between the Regional District of Nanaimo and the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 401.
- Diploma in Building or Civil Technology
- Building Officials Association of BC certification, minimum level 1
- 5 years prior job-related experience in a local government setting
- A valid BC Driver’s License is required
Please quote competition 2019-042 and submit a cover letter and resume clearly outlining your education, experience and qualifications as they relate to this position and submit via email to email@example.com.
Applications can also be faxed to 250-390-4163 or mailed to: Attention: Human Resources Main Reception, Administration Building Regional District of Nanaimo 6300 Hammond Bay Road Nanaimo, BC V9T 6N2
Applications will be accepted until: 4:00 pm, on May 10, 2019
Date Posted: April 12, 2019
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The Building Inspector contributes to the effective operation of the Building Inspections Department through plan checking and the inspection of conventional and complex buildings of all categories including accessory, residential, commercial, industrial and institutional. This position supports the Building Inspections Department by assisting team members in their duties, as required, to meet service expectations, departmental goals and objectives.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reviews and completes initial submissions and prepares plan checks and calculates building permit costs and associated fees.
- Reviews building plans and associated engineering reports.
- Liaises with RDN departments and building professionals as necessary to ensure compliance with applicable codes and bylaws.
- Inspects buildings at various stages of construction to ensure conformance to approved plans, codes and bylaws and provides advice to the builder as necessary.
- Responds to public inquiries regarding building inspection services including technical information, interpretation of codes and bylaws and inspection calls.
- Initiates enforcement on non-compliant structures and ensures appropriate follow-up and resolution of outstanding issues.
- Communicates with the public to provide general information and interpretations of RDN policies, bylaws and regulations.
- Contributes to the accuracy and completeness of the departmental records, files and technical library.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of new developments in building technology, associated regulations, and ensures that required certifications are current.
- Maintains file notes and inspection reports and drafts correspondence related to active building permit requirements and unauthorized construction activities.
- Performs other administrative duties on behalf of the Department, as required.
- In an emergency that requires the activation of the RDN’s Emergency Operations Centre (EOC), may be called upon with other RDN employees and assigned a role and/or tasks to support the EOC. Courses and/or workshops may be offered by the RDN to support this role.
- Performs other related duties, as required.
- Diploma in civil or building technology; Building Officials Association of BC Level I Certificate (Level II or III preferred); Trades Qualification in Carpentry or Plumbing preferred. Membership in Building Officials Association of BC (BOABC).
- Five years prior job-related experience in a local government setting, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Possession of a valid Class 5 BC Drivers License.
- Advanced courses in various building systems.
- Working knowledge of all building and plumbing codes, local government bylaws and zoning requirements and interpretations.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a professional manner and calm demeanor with the ability to enforce regulations.
- Ability to use good, quick judgement skills in order to diffuse aggressive confrontations.
- Knowledge of safe work and driving procedures.
- Reports to the Building Inspection Supervisor.