BC Local Government Job Posting Service
City of Surrey
Water Operations Superintendent
One of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city - and their careers - forward. Recognized as a BC Top Employer and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People, the City of Surrey has created a culture that reflects a desire to work collaboratively with its Council, employees, and all Surrey citizens.
Reporting to the Water Operations Manager, this is a skilled supervisory office and field work position responsible for ensuring that functions of the section are operated, maintained and managed to the maximum effect and efficiency with the least disruption or inconvenience to the public.
In this position, you will be required to:
- Plan, coordinate, organize, direct, and evaluate the work of maintenance personnel engaged in the installation, maintenance, construction services and repair of the City’s water distribution system;
- Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned programs;
- Monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; recommend, within departmental policy, appropriate service and staffing levels;
- Plan, direct, coordinate, and review the work plan for assigned staff; assign work activities, projects, and programs; review and evaluate work products, methods, and procedures; meet with staff to identify and resolve problems;
- Evaluate assigned personnel; develop, implement, and monitor safety program relative to division field activities; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies;
- Obtain and review bids for supplies and outside contractual services; monitor and approve equipment purchases; order supplies and initiate purchase orders; assist staff in developing specifications as necessary;
- Serve as the liaison for the Water Distribution Section with other sections, departments, and outside agencies;
- Serve as technical advisor and assist employees with resolving more difficult problems, work backlogs;
- Ensure overall operation effectiveness while maintaining excellent customer service standards;
- Recruitment, staff orientation, performance appraisals, labor relations issues, and developing work schedules;
- Assist with management and control of various financial management responsibilities such as budget development and ongoing administration, preparing financial reports, formulating annual programs and budgets, signing and issuing work orders;
- Assist with the development, implementation and ongoing evaluation of confidential and long term planning affecting the Section programs and operations. You would determine the resources required, both internal and external to the division or department in an effort to fulfill approved programs and organize and mobilize these resources for the effective and efficient completion of such programs
- Participate in stand-by duty on a rotation basis.
The successful candidate will have:
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills;
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written;
- Strategic planning and organizational abilities are essential; and
- Strong knowledge of roads and drainage maintenance and operations.
To be considered for this role, you will have:
- Completion of Grade 12 or GED supplemented by related technical courses;
- A valid Level 3 EOCP Certification is considered an asset;
- Considerable related experience in a supervisory capacity in a unionized environment;
- A diploma in a related technological discipline is considered an asset;
- Directly related and relevant experience to Water Distribution System. Municipal experience is considered a strong asset;
- An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered;
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and a safe driving record are required; and
- The position requires completion of a Police Information Check.
Please apply online to www.surreycareers.ca
This job posting will close on May 8th, 2019.
Location: Surrey, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Water Services
Posted: April 10, 2019, 11:51 am
Expires: May 8, 2019, 4:00 pm