BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Manager of Recreation Programs
Full-time term (up to 8 months or until return of incumbent)
The Comox Valley is an attractive geographic location, rich in rural agriculture, vibrant urban development, meandering coastline and dramatic mountains. There are spectacular outdoor activities available throughout the region, offering unlimited possibilities to current and prospective residents.
At the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) we work collaboratively, continually look toward the future and strive to be the change we wish to see in our communities. Our values coupled with a commitment to leadership excellence and a resolute focus on serving the residents of the Comox Valley, help to create an organizational culture that’s second to none. What we do goes beyond work, offering our employees the support to achieve and maintain a healthy balance between work and lifestyle. Working with the CVRD is a plus for everyone.
We are currently seeking a Manager of Recreation Programs to join our Community Services team on a temporary basis starting in May 2019.
The Community Services Branch is responsible for all matters relating to key interests of the community including arts, culture, parks, recreation, fire protection, business continuity/emergency services, street lighting, community halls, sustainability and transit. The intent is to manage all the services we provide for community benefit in an integrated approach and in the most efficient and effective manner possible.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Recreation Services, the primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Planning and providing oversight for the provision of recreational programs and services in serving Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) clientele;
- Preparing the preliminary budget for recreation programs, providing input for the annual business plan and controlling spending within the approved budget;
- Developing, implementing, and maintaining processes, policies, procedures and standards for the safe delivery of programs and services and ensuring compliance with applicable regulations and government certification levels;
- Promoting a safe workplace, ensuring that all established safety practices and procedures are followed;
- Supervising the work of and providing direction to all related staff engaged in programming, scheduling, and the delivery of recreation services and programs including scheduling, training, performance management, coaching and career development;
- Participating in the resolution of grievances and resolving personnel issues;
- Providing input to the Coordinators and Leaders regarding the development of plans and strategies to increase participation in leisure activities and programs through the promotion of CVRD recreation facilities and special events;
- Working closely with the Communications department, Coordinators and the Manager of Recreation Administration to develop annual communication and social media planning for community events;
- Supporting the implementation of a customer service program and establishing performance standards for the Sports and Aquatic Centre Staff;
- Serving as a senior level resource to staff, CVRD personnel and customers regarding the interpretation, explanation and application of policies, procedures, standards, specifications, regulations and bylaws, and the resolution of complaints.
Our ideal candidate is:
- Current in the philosophies, principles, processes, and practices pertaining to recreation program development and delivery;
- A strong communicator with demonstrated success in facilitation, consensus building, customer service and conflict resolution;
- Team-oriented with considerable experience supervising staff, including the ability to lead, coach and motivate;
- Comfortable assessing community needs and developing and delivering suitable recreation programs and services;
- Educated in physical education, recreation administration (or related) at the post-secondary level with at least five years of experience at a senior supervisory level in the development and delivery of aquatic, ice arena, and fitness related programs and services, preferably in a unionized environment;
- Certified (or equivalent) in
- Organized with the ability to plan, prioritize, and meet deadlines under pressure;
- Creative when it comes to problem solving and skilled in project management;
- An advanced user of Microsoft Office Suite with strong utilization skills in Adobe Acrobat, Explorer and SharePoint applications.
- Other preferred certifications include: Supervisory skills training, First Aid, Local Government Administration and Emergency Management training
A Criminal Record check including Vulnerable Sector search indicating no relevant criminal convictions and a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s license is also required.
This is an exempt position and is not part of any union bargaining unit.
To review the complete job description and to apply go to www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/jobs.
The closing date for this position is April 23, 2019 at 3:00 pm. Applications for available positions with the CVRD must be received prior to the indicated closing date and time. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Comox Valley Regional District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals.