BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Plumbing Official / Cross Connection Coordinator
Working for the City of Penticton means we raise families where others come for their vacation. Our home offers the best beaches, cycling trails, parks, recreation facilities and mountain escapes, not to mention all the shopping and amenities a vibrant community needs.
The Plumbing Official / Cross Connection Coordinator performs skilled work of a complex nature under the limited supervision of the Building and Permitting Manager. The incumbent will assume primary responsibility for development and administration of the City of Penticton Cross Connection Control Program, Plumbing permits and Mechanical Permits and will perform complex technical inspection and regulatory work, inspecting plumbing, mechanical and cross connection control and backflow prevention and ensure compliance with the City of Penticton’s Building By-law and Irrigation, Sewer and Water Bylaw and Standards. The incumbent serves as liaison to industrial, commercial, institutional, agricultural and residential customers and other external agencies and is required to exercise considerable tact and diplomacy.
- Maintains a data base of backflow customers, reviews inspection records, and prepares concise inspection reports and surveys related to the installation and testing of backflow prevention assemblies.
- Investigates industrial, commercial, institutional, agricultural, and residential water systems for proper cross connection control protection to ensure that public health is safeguarded through the protection of the City's water supply.
- Ensure City’s emergency policy related to protection and availability of potable water during an emergency is maintained.
- Administers cross connection control requirements at all premises where plumbing modifications have occurred.
- Review and administer plumbing permit submissions for stand-alone residential permits, small to complex commercial and multi-family projects as well as water/sanitary service replacements.
- Assist the Public Work division in the monitoring of Grease interceptor installations and maintenance.
- Assist Development Services Engineering Technician in the evaluation of water meter and servicing sizes for Part 9 Standard building projects.
- Review and inspect Mechanical and Ventilation Permit applications and installations for Part 9 homes and small buildings.
- Review and monitor Mechanical and Ventilation Permit applications and installations for Part 3 Complex buildings.
- Reviews infractions with owners/contractors/installers and discuss the corrections required.
- Enforces applicable regulatory Bylaws and testifies in court on any violation of code, by-laws, or related issues as required.
- Attend or conduct various meetings as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND KNOWLEDGE
- Thorough knowledge of Cross Connection Control Programs and the rules, regulations, by-laws and policies pertaining to them.
- Thorough knowledge in the testing of backflow assemblies and the ability to correctly read backflow reports to ensure that test results are complete and accurate.
- Ability to read plans and supporting documentations to identifying drawing standards & quality for permit applications.
- Thorough knowledge of BC Plumbing Code and associated regulations.
- Proven ability in analyzing situations and making decisions based on an understanding of a complex set of potential consequences.
- The ability to communicate effectively, both verbal and written, with proficient use of Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Well-developed organizational, communication (verbal and written), and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability in managing multiple tasks, deadlines, and establishing effective working relationships.
- Experience in preparing routine reports and correspondence.
REQUIRED LICENCES OR CERTIFICATES, ETC.
- Completion of Grade 12 or its equivalent.
- Red Seal certification in plumbing.
- Minimum Level 01 POABC certification or ability to obtain within 6 months from hire date.
- TECA Ventilation certification & TECA – Hydronic and Forced Air Systems certification or ability to obtain within 12 months’ date of hire.
- BCWWA certified backflow assembly tester, or be able to recertify as a BCWWA certified backflow assembly tester within 6 months from hire date.
- BC Driver's Licence - Class 5.
PREFERRED TRAINING, KNOWLEDGE, MEMBERSHIPS, ETC.
- Cross Connection Control Facility Survey Specialist/Program Manager certification or ability obtain such within 12 months of start in position.
- Experience and/or technical courses in fire sprinkler and irrigation installations would be an asset.
- Minimum Level 01 BOABC certification an asset.
- Working knowledge of BPMS, BSI and or Tempest Software – Prospero an asset.
- Conflict Resolution or similar types of communication courses an asset
Salary for this position will be determined based on candidate’s education and work experience: Building Inspector 2 is $35.70 - 39.66/hour and a Building Inspector 3 with Level 2 Plumbing certification is $36.60 – 40.67/hour. The City of Penticton also offers a competitive benefit and pension package, working 37.5 hours per week, Monday - Friday.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit your resume by 4:00 pm on Tuesday, April 23rd, 2019 to:
PLEASE QUOTE COMPETITION NO: 19-29E
PLEASE QUOTE COMPETITION NO: 19-29E
Location: Penticton, BC
Region: Okanagan Valley / Similkameen
Professional Categories: Plumbing/Pipefitting/Gas/Steam,Sewer & Wastewater
Posted: April 9, 2019, 12:35 pm
Expires: April 23, 2019, 4:00 pm