BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Planner I - Full-Time
We are the third largest regional district in BC. With six municipalities and eight electoral areas, we have cities, towns and small rural communities. Our topography is as varied as it is vast. We have mountains, valleys, rivers, farmland, canyons. In short, we have a little bit of everything. If you’re the type of Planner who believes variety is the spice of life, then you should check us out.
As a Planner I at the FVRD, a typical week could see you discussing a new family room addition with homeowners; tramping through the woods on a site visit; attending Board Committee meetings to discuss your applications; meeting with developers to seek creative solutions; engaging citizens about growth in their communities; writing policy, and so much more. We are looking for a people-oriented Planner interested in the big picture, as well as the small details. Critical thinking, strong communication skills and lots of initiative will serve you well in this position. This is an excellent opportunity for the Planner who wants to stretch their skills and broaden their experience. For the right person, the opportunity to learn and grow in this position is almost limitless.
We offer a positive, supportive, team-based work environment with an emphasis on collaboration. We believe in lifelong learning and are committed to providing and supporting training and professional development opportunities for our staff. If you have a positive, can-do attitude and a keen sense of humour, you will fit right in. Bring your positive energy, ambition and desire to learn, and we’ll take care of the rest.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A degree in planning, geography, or a related discipline with courses in survey techniques, GIS, map interpretation, map compilation, graphics and statistical analysis preferred;
- Two years of similar and demonstrated local government experience or equivalent is preferred;
- Working knowledge of standard planning, building, and engineering nomenclature, practices and methods;
- Familiarity with all types of maps, air photographs and map catalogues;
- The ability to acquire a sound knowledge of FVRD planning legislation, Provincial statutes and regulations, and local geography within a reasonable time;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to express thoughts and ideas clearly, and converse with a wide range of people including technical consultants, elected officials, staff, the general public, developers, consultants, and First Nations, for the purpose of providing advice, making recommendations and delivering effective presentations;
- Must possess a valid Driver’s Licence.
The wage rate for this bargaining unit position is $33.68 per hour plus a comprehensive benefits package. Upon successful completion of the required six month probationary period the wage rate will increase to $39.62 per hour.
The FVRD offers a great place to work and live with a mix of rural and urban lifestyles along with an abundance of recreational and cultural opportunities. For more information, please visit our website at www.fvrd.ca.
If this opportunity excites you, and you want to contribute to a positive work environment, we want to hear from you. Please submit your resume, along with a cover letter, indicating how you meet the qualifications. Please quote Competition #2019-15, and send in confidence, by 4:30 p.m. on April 26, 2019 to:
firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Human Resources Department
Fraser Valley Regional District
45950 Cheam Avenue
Chilliwack, BC V2P 1N6
or fax confidentially to: 604-702-5461
While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Location: Chilliwack, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Planning & Development
Posted: April 4, 2019, 3:43 pm
Expires: April 26, 2019, 4:30 pm